Outworld For Young Colonies

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Joshua09

Outworld For Young Colonies

Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:07 am

What outworld size is good for young colonies. And let me see about the setups of your outworld. :D

Antloverhuman

Re: Outworld For Young Colonies

Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:32 am

It depends. You can go as small as a ice cream tub
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:45 am

Joshua09 wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:07 am
What outworld size is good for young colonies. And let me see about the setups of your outworld. :D
Depends on size. All my small species I give AC test tube portals, but the downside is I hate plastic tubes and you need them to make it function(I tried with same size glass tube and some Camponotus workers had an exotic adventure on my table(Tube cracked))

My medium species I Give something like plastic containers from order food at restaurants.(Note, my “medium” species is Camponotus planatus, (workers 3-6ish mm) which may be considered between small and medium or between large and medium species based on the person.

My large species, I give outworlds from an Australian Ant company(AusAnts) partially due to the fact that you can’t feed aggressive Camponotus in a tube very long… they also create a smallish outworld that has worked for my species, but a big downside is it hard to apply fluon due to the cover size, and it may be hard for feeding without tweezers.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Joshua09

Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:38 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Depends on size. All my small species I give AC test tube portals, but the downside is I hate plastic tubes and you need them to make it function(I tried with same size glass tube and some Camponotus workers had an exotic adventure on my table(Tube cracked))

My medium species I Give something like plastic containers from order food at restaurants.(Note, my “medium” species is Camponotus planatus, (workers 3-6ish mm) which may be considered between small and medium or between large and medium species based on the person.

My large species, I give outworlds from an Australian Ant company(AusAnts) partially due to the fact that you can’t feed aggressive Camponotus in a tube very long… they also create a smallish outworld that has worked for my species, but a big downside is it hard to apply fluon due to the cover size, and it may be hard for feeding without tweezers.
Can you show me your outworld setup?

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:17 pm

Joshua09 wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:38 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:

Can you show me your outworld setup?
Not currently as my desk is a mess. I can give you names though.

I use an AusAnts small outworld, and occasionally recyclable containers.

*This is not direct competition against AntsCanada as they do not make appropriate sized outworlds for some species.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:07 pm

Also, because these are on high demand, they are not in stock and take several months to get to where I live,(Probably 2 weeks where you are) I recommend something like it from AntKeepingDepot. AC is also very far, and hence the shipping will be insane.