Lesser weaver ant setup?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Sircumference

Lesser weaver ant setup?

Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:29 am

I have an idea/question. I’m a newer ant keeper, I have only a couple enclosed carpenter ant colonies. I’m looking to do something a little more advanced, I haven’t seen this done on the AntsCanada YouTube, I was wondering if it could be possible to do a floating open island for lesser weaver ants. Since they make there nests in the leaves, would it still be containable? Even if the ‘pond’ has a much wider perimeter then the tree? Could they still get out? The pond would have more of a self sustaining eco system with fish and other critters, along with a ant perimeter around the ring just in case they can swim. That brings me to another question, would I have to worry about them escaping using other means? Or is it just not a good idea in general for that specific type of ant? I fell in love with the golden lesser weaver ants and I would love to see them in a open environment to be able to look all around there nests and be able to observe them from any angle. Let me know what you guys think!

SYUTEO

Re: Lesser weaver ant setup?

Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:18 am

He already done something similar with his old colony of Polyrhachis except that it's an actual island due to fact it has water. The reason he did that is so wild pharaoh ants won't kill his colony but they end up escaping because one of the leaves is touching the lid without him noticing.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:32 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
He already done something similar with his old colony of Polyrhachis except that it's an actual island due to fact it has water. The reason he did that is so wild pharaoh ants won't kill his colony but they end up escaping because one of the leaves is touching the lid without him noticing.
Imagine if he let them escape for a video…
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

SYUTEO

Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:45 pm

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
It was a very old video of his all the way back in 2018, when he posted the video I haven't even started ant keeping yet. And many things are different from right now, the Fire Nation is still alive and living in La Selva de Feugo, the Golden Empire is still living in the Hacienda del Dorado and the blue crayfish is also still living there, the Black Panthers are unnamed and simply called the Asian bullet ant colony, the Pharaoh ant attacks have recently ended and the Dark Knights are still living in their giant setup.

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:20 pm

SYUTEO wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:45 pm
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
SYUTEO wrote:
It was a very old video of his all the way back in 2018, when he posted the video I haven't even started ant keeping yet. And many things are different from right now, the Fire Nation is still alive and living in La Selva de Feugo, the Golden Empire is still living in the Hacienda del Dorado and the blue crayfish is also still living there, the Black Panthers are unnamed and simply called the Asian bullet ant colony, the Pharaoh ant attacks have recently ended and the Dark Knights are still living in their giant setup.
When I clicked on this topic, I expected spam, but I got lucky. I remember the days.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…