Free-roaming ant colony?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

SYUTEO

Free-roaming ant colony?

Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:23 pm

I wonder if anyone can make it so that the colony's workers could venture out of the test tube to find food and not let the colony escape. (other than Mikey) If someone has managed to do that then what are the pros and cons of this setup other than the colony escaping.

Antloverhuman

Re: Free-roaming ant colony?

Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:34 am

I haven't tried it but you can make the nest exit small enough so the workers can go but the queen can't.
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:07 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
I haven't tried it but you can make the nest exit small enough so the workers can go but the queen can't.
I am understanding correctly in the sort that you place them in the wild, or in a outworld? Also, it would need to be pretty dang small, as I had a Camponotus queen get through the Ac connector small entrance.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

Antloverhuman

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:38 am

I think you would be able to do it with pheidoli because the workers are way too small compared to the queen
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

AM1C39

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:46 am

Antloverhuman wrote:
I think you would be able to do it with pheidoli because the workers are way too small compared to the queen
Yes but then the supermajors would not be able to leave. :lol:
I believe in an old topic similar to this one, they where saying the same thing but for bees.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

SYUTEO

Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:22 am

AM1C39 wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
I believe in an old topic similar to this one, they where saying the same thing but for bees.
So this kind of setup is only possible for monomorphic species, I guess that's one of the cons.
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
I am understanding correctly in the sort that you place them in the wild, or in a outworld? Also, it would need to be pretty dang small, as I had a Camponotus queen get through the Ac connector small entrance.
I was saying to put the test tube somewhere in your ant room without an outworld.

Anyways you can just make the hole smaller than the queen's head but the workers might not fit so that's another con since it would be hard to find the perfect sized hole for some species.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:42 am

SYUTEO wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:22 am
AM1C39 wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
So this kind of setup is only possible for monomorphic species, I guess that's one of the cons.
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Antloverhuman wrote:
I was saying to put the test tube somewhere in your ant room without an outworld.

Anyways you can just make the hole smaller than the queen's head but the workers might not fit so that's another con since it would be hard to find the perfect sized hole for some species.
Yep, it would need to be custom, and some polymorphic species would work. People say that Camponotus planatus is polymorphic, but I have never seen a major.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…