Omni Nest Vertical or Omni Nest

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Reevak

Omni Nest Vertical or Omni Nest

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:52 pm

From what I've seen (may or may not be true), the Omni Nest Vertical is less popular than the Omni Nest. Is there a reason for this? It appears, to me at least, that the Omni Nest Vertical can hold more ants. So why do people favor the regular Omni Nest? Keep in mind, I could be wrong about this but from what I've seen, people seem to choose the regular more often than the vertical.
Which one do you think is better and do you own one, both, or neither?
Thanks

Serafine

Re: Omni Nest Vertical or Omni Nest

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Some ants (Tetramorium for example) aren't good climbers. Honeypots will love the vertical nest though.

Nathant

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:15 pm

Reevak wrote:From what I've seen (may or may not be true), the Omni Nest Vertical is less popular than the Omni Nest. Is there a reason for this? It appears, to me at least, that the Omni Nest Vertical can hold more ants. So why do people favor the regular Omni Nest? Keep in mind, I could be wrong about this but from what I've seen, people seem to choose the regular more often than the vertical.
Which one do you think is better and do you own one, both, or neither?
Thanks
I don't own any omni nests but I've heard ants can dirty nests more with vertical viewing formicariums if there is any digging substrate added, limiting view. I suppose that somewhat depends on the species, though. Overall if I had a choice I'd go for the normal one, since it's less expenive and offers better viewing in my opinion, whether there is substrate added or not. Hope that helps. :D
Massachusetts Nuptial Flight Thread | Massachusetts Anting Thread | My Ants

Reevak

Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Serafine wrote:Some ants (Tetramorium for example) aren't good climbers. Honeypots will love the vertical nest though.
Nathant wrote:I don't own any omni nests but I've heard ants can dirty nests more with vertical viewing formicariums if there is any digging substrate added, limiting view. I suppose that somewhat depends on the species, though. Overall if I had a choice I'd go for the normal one, since it's less expenive and offers better viewing in my opinion, whether there is substrate added or not. Hope that helps. :D
Thank you both for the response. i guess that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up