Moving brood kills ants?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

blackpython99

Moving brood kills ants?

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:59 pm

So I checked my test tube today and saw that my first nanitic hatched sometime this week. So now I have a queen, some eggs, and a small ant. Which is perfect because my Omni Nest just came in the mail also. Because I don't know when exactly It hatched, I went ahead and put a drop of honey in there. But now I need to make a plan. I have her "colony" in a large test tube, but mold has slowly started to grow over the wet cotton ball. I definitely need to move her, the nanitic, and her eggs out soon. I can attach another test tube set up or I can Put them in the Omni Nest small. I can put cotton around the the nest to make it to where she can only occupy that one chamber which is more ideal in my mind. But I'm afraid it can kill the baby nanitic and be too stressful on the queen. Is it a good idea? Or should I risk it with the mold and wait until the nanitic is a bit older?

By the way there is no other larvae, just eggs. So there wont be any other ants for at least another 3 weeks or so.

Serafine

Re: Moving brood kills ants?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:52 am

Put the test tube together with another test tube into an outworld (you can use the omni nest outworld for this) and they will move when they feel right. Note that just having mold does not mean your ants are in danger (even if the entire cotton is black), they will know when it gets threatening and move if offered a new tube.
Forget about the omni nest nesting space until they are AT LEAST 20 workers, forcing them into a formicarium nesting area now will kill the colony. Keep them in test tubes until they have gotten a lot bigger.