Subterranean Ants

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

leoohyama

Subterranean Ants

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi all,

New to the forum community.

I've been trapping subterranean ants (S. carolinensis, Neivamyrmex, etc.) in Florida. I've been successful to some degree with my target of thief ants (Solenopsis. sub genre dilporhoptrum) I've been working on finding a technique to get queen-right colonies to move in to my trap. However, the issue I have right now is my formicarium design. These little guys need humidity to survive, but fluon and other substances degrade in high humidity. I've read that crisco vegetable oil might be of use, but I have doubts on that. Has anyone here ever successfully kept thief ants alive in their own formicariums?

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Subterranean Ants

Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:08 am

Not that I am aware of but my fluon barrier works fine so far. I got a fish tank with a lid to close it off. Funny thing is, even if I water the setup with the spaying bottle it still doesn't rub off. Otherwise I would have more ants exploring upside down.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.