2nd hand test tube a problem??

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Kenechirino

2nd hand test tube a problem??

Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:50 pm

So I have a very nutritioned pharaoh ant queen in a 2nd hand test tube

I have lots of questions so please if you have any tips comment it

So the second hand tube is a rectangular tube and the queen ant had lots of brood and I was so happy
She was also full of sugar water I confirmed that the brood are also eating cuz I saw ant poop inside the brood

I wanna know if the tube AntsCanada is selling would be flexible and stretchy enough to fit the entrance of my test tube so I can move them to the actual testtube

I also wanna know when ill move them to the ( I forgot what its called but its for begginer ant colonies ) should I move them if the setup is moldy?

I also wanna know if the scent of alchohol is toxic to the ants because I clean the entrance everytime I give them sugar water so it wont mold

Please if you have any more tips comment it :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Hello I keep only 1 colony, a pharaoh ant colony. Its small but one day its gonna be huge :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

AntsLuxembourg

Re: 2nd hand test tube a problem??

Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:30 am

Hi, so for the alcohol I think the ants might just get a bit drunk or dizzy at best. ;)
But since baby powder barriers require rubbing alcohol I don't see an issue for using it to clean up.

The AC Testtubes are stiff. However that is why you can get multiple different connectors for the AC Testtubes and normally it's the tubing that should be flexible enough to fit on your desired connection. I never heard of a rectangular test tube.
Could you post some pictures via an imgur link? I'm curious to see if my imagination is correct or just crazy wild.

For the moldy setup, unless your ants are too messy, they will keep the main nest clean and mold free.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:04 am

Kenechirino wrote:

So the second hand tube is a rectangular tube and the queen ant had lots of brood and I was so happy
She was also full of sugar water I confirmed that the brood are also eating cuz I saw ant poop inside the brood

I wanna know if the tube AntsCanada is selling would be flexible and stretchy enough to fit the entrance of my test tube so I can move them to the actual testtube

I also wanna know when ill move them to the ( I forgot what its called but its for begginer ant colonies ) should I move them if the setup is moldy?

I also wanna know if the scent of alchohol is toxic to the ants because I clean the entrance everytime I give them sugar water so it wont mold

well, only move them if the whole of the cotton is mouldy
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:48 am

Kenechirino wrote:

Be careful with AC tubes, if they get sand in the adapters it scratches them up.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…