3d DESIGNING A FORMICARIUM

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Garreth

3d DESIGNING A FORMICARIUM

Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:27 am

Hey all, so im working on a large campanotus formicarium design in a 3d software and was wondering if any one who has kept them can help me out and wants to be part of this project. also 3d designers are welcome

AM1C39

Re: 3d DESIGNING A FORMICARIUM

Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:38 am

I have mede nests specificaly for camponotus colonies so I could be of some asistance.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Garreth

Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:15 am

Hey yeah so the formicariom is being designed like a massive city grid, im hoping to work with others to provide a very interesting unique nest

antnest8

Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:26 pm

Garreth wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:27 am
Hey all, so im working on a large campanotus formicarium design in a 3d software and was wondering if any one who has kept them can help me out and wants to be part of this project. also 3d designers are welcome
I've worked with Campanotus for almost 4 years now. They generally prefer dryer nests, so when providing a moisture gradient make sure there is plenty of space away from the water source. Since Camponotus do chew wood, make sure the materials used are not overly soft.

I would also suggest a nest on the smaller size. Camponotus do grow into large colonies, but it takes years to do so. Since most ant-keepers are new to the hobby, a majority of camponotus colonies are going to be on the smaller side.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum