EMERGENCY: pheidoles are escaping my ant tower

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

peppertroopa

EMERGENCY: pheidoles are escaping my ant tower

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:29 pm

I recently moved my pheidole colony into an AC ant tower. What I did not realize was that the ventilation holes on the top and bottom were not large enough to prevent the tiny pheidole ants from escaping!! I have temporarily wrapped the tower in cling wrap to prevent further escapes, but I have no idea how many ants have managed to escape. How can I safely move my colony out of this ant tower, and what is the best way to keep them under control in the mean time? What kind of farm should I move them to? Please help!!!

I tried coating the walls of the tower in fluon but it doesn't seem to be effective. Not sure if I didn't apply it properly.

SYUTEO

Re: EMERGENCY: pheidoles are escaping my ant tower

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:52 pm

Place the ant tower in a tray filled with water to prevent them from escaping. You can move them in to an AC hybrid nest mini or a hybrid nest Tetramorium which should have micro holes small enough to prevent them from escaping.

antnest8

Re: EMERGENCY: pheidoles are escaping my ant tower

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:27 pm

I would take the top off and replace it with a book or other solid object for a bit. Then, use a hot glue gun or something else to fill the holes at the top. Take a few days to let it air out and place it back on the tower
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum