Some advice for test tube moving?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Newcolonyontheblock

Some advice for test tube moving?

Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:19 pm

Hey guys! So last night I ordered some actual AC test tubes from the shop and I imagine they should be here in a few days. I'm really looking forward to moving my two new colonies into them but I feel like it's going to be tricky because the AC test tubes look like they're a little bit bigger and what I currently have my ants in are just some basic 13x100mm test tubes I found on ebay. Is there a good way I could get them to move into the bigger new ones without them spilling out into the room? I don't know if taping them together would work. I'm considering putting both test tubes in a small bin or container with some slippery barrier around the rim so they don't escape and then maybe using something like a popsicle stick as a bridge between the two tubes. I'll have to figure something out soon anyway as one colony is really low on water all of a sudden.

AntsLuxembourg

Re: Some advice for test tube moving?

Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:57 am

You could try using multiple different sizes of tubing to make a connector between the two. Or if you have you can use the AC connectors to get a different tube size and plug that inside. If nothing helps you can use tape to close the connector but poke some holes in so the ants can still breath in case it's sealed airtight.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:06 am

Newcolonyontheblock wrote:
Hey guys! So last night I ordered some actual AC test tubes from the shop and I imagine they should be here in a few days. I'm really looking forward to moving my two new colonies into them but I feel like it's going to be tricky because the AC test tubes look like they're a little bit bigger and what I currently have my ants in are just some basic 13x100mm test tubes I found on ebay. Is there a good way I could get them to move into the bigger new ones without them spilling out into the room? I don't know if taping them together would work. I'm considering putting both test tubes in a small bin or container with some slippery barrier around the rim so they don't escape and then maybe using something like a popsicle stick as a bridge between the two tubes. I'll have to figure something out soon anyway as one colony is really low on water all of a sudden.
for the water you can put in some random wet cotton for some relief that they won't die of thirst
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:50 am

Newcolonyontheblock wrote:
Wrapping tape around one until it is thick enough will work with medium sized ants.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…