How to figure out where ants are escaping from?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

peppertroopa

How to figure out where ants are escaping from?

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:57 pm

I have a colony of pheidole ants in an small-medium setup, and i've noticed that at any given time i see two or more ants crawling on the desk they sit on. What is the best way to figure out where they are escaping from, cover up that point, and do so in the most careful manner possible?

cosmo1190

Re: How to figure out where ants are escaping from?

Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:43 pm

peppertroopa wrote:
I have a colony of pheidole ants in an small-medium setup, and i've noticed that at any given time i see two or more ants crawling on the desk they sit on. What is the best way to figure out where they are escaping from, cover up that point, and do so in the most careful manner possible?
I think that is true...if you still didn't know where they escaping from,i think you need to inspect your ant carefully first and find where do they got out from....
:mrgreen:

Currently Keeping

-1 Camponotus SP
-1 Meranoplus SP
-1 Tapinoma Melanocephalum
-2 Pheidole Megacephala

:mrgreen:

Theantkid

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:51 pm

You could also put a drop of honey where you see them the most and see where the trail leads. Unless you have an infestation.
Theantkid, Keeper of Formica subsericea/The Black Knights, Queen name, Black and Gold.

AntsLuxembourg

Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:14 am

peppertroopa wrote:
Hey,

There are multiple options.
1) They are outsiders.
2) They escape through the cotton.
3) They escape through an air hole.
4) They escape through a hole they managed to make.
5) They escape through an opening between testtube and tubing or tubing to outworld/nest.

To get a better picture, please add some pictures of your current setup. It will help us to make some better guesses.

To give you some context for option 2, my Messor Barbarus colony once managed to escape a little by digging a tunnel into the cotton. I didn't notice until they started to run around a bit because the tunnel they dug was on the back side of their setup. But I also didn't put in enough cotton so it was too easy for them to pull the cotton bits out. Now I check every so often if they have started to dig a cotton tunnel. ;)

For option 5, I once had some ants escape because the tubing came lose. It wasn't for too long until I noticed but never the less they managed to roam around a little. Plus second colony had some espacing workers because the AC Setup was not properly connected to the testtubes that I was using.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

AntsAntsAnts

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:08 am

peppertroopa wrote:
for me i find tiny holes that tiny species of ants can escape from so try search for those
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)