Wooden ant nests!

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsNW

Wooden ant nests!

Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:24 pm

Hello!
I have been researching how to make wooden nests for my young Camponotus colony. I have found a couple of really great designs, but humidity is a slight problem... Does anyone know how to make a DIY "Nestmate" from Tarheel ants? Or any tips for making the nests themselves?
I'll try and post pictures when/if I finish.
Thanks! :D
Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus-- 1 queen, 8 workers
Lasius Niger queen

AM1C39

Re: Wooden ant nests!

Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:24 am

Not sure what the nestmate is but I have made many wooden nests of multiple desings, so if you want some help just ask :) .
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Antloverhuman

Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:04 am

Nestmate is like a tubing with mesh at one end. The one from tarheel ants has very fine holes in the mesh. So you can buy the mesh and a vynl tubing and attach the mesh at one end using glue gun or silicone but make sure it is not toxic to ants. To block the other end, you can use cork piece or a 3d printed blocker.
Ants I have-
camponotus compressus colony- the shadow warriors.
Pls just let me have a tetramorium colony

antnest8

Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:23 pm

AntsNW wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:24 pm
Hello!
I have been researching how to make wooden nests for my young Camponotus colony. I have found a couple of really great designs, but humidity is a slight problem... Does anyone know how to make a DIY "Nestmate" from Tarheel ants? Or any tips for making the nests themselves?
I'll try and post pictures when/if I finish.
Thanks! :D
Carpenter ants usually are on the low-mid end of needed humidity so as long as there is a source somewhere you should be fine, it doesn't need to cover most of the nest. I would be careful with a wooden nest with Carpenter ants however as they are called "Carpender" ants for a reason and can escape if any of the wood is exposed to the outside
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum