Camp. Pennsylvanicus - Rapid Growth & Need Advice!

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

UserJB007

Camp. Pennsylvanicus - Rapid Growth & Need Advice!

Mon May 17, 2021 3:57 pm

Hi AC Friends!!!

My Camponotus colony is growing rapidly coming out of hibernation. They are approx. 450 workers strong, with 200 pupae, 100 developing larvae, and a large clutch of 200 or so more eggs. As exciting as this is I fear they need some more room!

Currently they reside in an AC Hybrid and did so comfortably all of last year. Now they are chewing on a nest plug aggressively and it will not hold for long. I guess I shouldn't be surprised they are chewing into the plugs as the are pretty determined. My thought was to buy a 2nd AC nest to put right next to it allowing them to expand as they need, possibly with some media for them to remove as needed as they use the space in the 2nd nest.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or thoughts on the expansion? I have heard some trying to direct me away from AC products for this species, but I'm wondering if this will help. I have loved the product so far and have had no issues.

Thank you!!!!

AM1C39

Re: Camp. Pennsylvanicus - Rapid Growth & Need Advice!

Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm

Making something like one of these should do it (you can always add your own modifications): https://youtu.be/Agp8E1w-6Vo or https://youtu.be/8S8NGb1Kyu8.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

UserJB007

Mon May 17, 2021 8:51 pm

Definitely not looking to make my own for this species at least. Maybe for my L. Brevicornis at some point.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

tiersa

Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:27 pm

What did you end up doing with your growing nest I am currently having this issue

camponotuspro1

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:04 am

even though you are being obnoxiously sarcastic, you should know that you are extremely lucky to have such a large camponotus colony as they are a slow growing genus.