Ant colony using dirt to block entrance to formicarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

WolfZono

Ant colony using dirt to block entrance to formicarium

Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:49 pm

I currently have 1 colony of tetramorium sp. e and today, they moved into their first formicarium, and introduced to the outworld. They have been dragging dirt into the formicarium using it to block to the entrance to the formicarium should I be worried?

cjerg9

Re: Ant colony using dirt to block entrance to formicarium

Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:26 am

Usually ants do this when they are stressed. How big is your colony and how large is your setup?

AntLuvForever

Re: Ant colony using dirt to block entrance to formicarium

Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:08 pm

It’s normal. Ant sometimes do this to ventilate the air or so they can build. Don’t worry. Ive observed lots of wild ants that do this as well. (my ant currently dont have the enough numbers to be introduced to an out world yet.) So its like sort of their instinct for survival. However, i need some examples of the material they’re dragging back and they are they placing them. If they use it to construct an anthill or other structures then its normal. Ive seen ant do that a lot. But yes, they can also be stressed. Can we have a photo or an detailed description of their behavior?
(Side note): if your Clooney is moved to an out world before the Colony is big enough, they will be stressed becuase ants like small, tight places and if too big, it can cause fear or even anxiety.
Ant Colonies I Own :

(Prenolepis imparis)--Subzero

(Tetramorium immigrans)--The Concrete Angles

(Formica neogagates)--The Unyielding Legion