Escape!

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Antmanboy

Escape!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:02 am

So a good portion of my ants escaped and I thought I caught them all until I saw 2 more this morning. Part of my setup was a d.i.y. bottle so I will be replacing that I expect to see more ants soon because they want to get back in the nest. Anyway I wanted to let you know about that just because I kinda want to warn you to not use parts of your setup that are not easily put together. The AC tubing was not compatible with the bottle so I had to use cotton. They squeezed through and escaped. The queen did not get out so that was lucky. Who knows how many more ants are out.

AM1C39

Re: Escape!

Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:05 am

What a coincidence! Just a few days ago my carpenter colony (the ones with no queen) had ''gotten'' out of there test tube setup. Basically what happend was I noticed they where in need of new space but because there was no queen I knew they would not get any bigger so I was trying to put them in a mini nest that I made for when I find an acorn ant colony they would also be a good test for the mini nest but during the process I dropped the test tube... 10 of the 11 ants escaped but eventually I caught them all with a bug aspirator (I made a couple months back). also eventually, I transferred them to an empty mini test tube that goes with the mini nest. All of the brood was lost but presently the are happily living in the nest with a full water test tube and the mini nest is so far so good. I will try to post a photo of them is the mini nest.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Antmanboy

Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:11 am

Lucky for you! Getting mine back was a nightmare because they appear one by one. It's a good thing they want to get back to nest.

AM1C39

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:01 pm

Hear are 2 photos of my mini nest I made:
https://imgur.com/a/OiJFWXe
I will probably make a new version of this because it is made of foam and they will probably be able to escape and the foam is black so it's hard to see the ants. The mini nest 2.0 will probably mostly be made of wood.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

Antmanboy

Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:39 pm

Cool! Good luck with making your 2.0 nests!

Antmanboy

Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:20 pm

Update: Now I have them all. They appeared again earlier but finally they are contained. It was stressful but it made me realize I needed to beef up security.