Camponotus Pennsylanicus - Y3 Growth Question

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

UserJB007

Camponotus Pennsylanicus - Y3 Growth Question

Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:35 am

Hello!

I "inherited" this colony after they moved into a potted plant inside my house (bizarre I know lol). Based on the size of the colony I guessed this was their second year (about 100 workers). After the collection, move into a formicarium, and the shock of that to their growth, they ended last year at I'm estimating around 300+ workers.

As I'll be slowly bringing them out of hibernation in the coming weeks, I'm wondering what kind of growth I should anticipate this year. Is this the big boom year? They are in the AC Camponotus nest w/ the AC outworld. I'm wondering if they would benefit from more space by either their outworld or an additional nest. Any experience in this area would be appreciated. I'm excited to have a first full season of growth coming for this colony. If I'm going into the thousands this year it'll be a wild one!

TY,
Jeremy

NKantsalberta

Re: Camponotus Pennsylanicus - Y3 Growth Question

Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:20 pm

If you provide constant and plentiful protein and sugars i am sure they will double in size this year. The more full stomachs to feed the hungry queen and larvae the better.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

UserJB007

Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:23 am

Thanks for the reply!

It sounds like the current setup will really comfortably hold them for another year then :-) I might just get an additional outworld for them. I like the idea of them having some more space to explore and travel.

Any suggestions on sugars? I've tried several different kinds of honey they don't seem to like. They are obsessed however with agave and fresh fruits. I think the answer is variety, but obviously filling a feeder with something easy is nice haha.

NKantsalberta

Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:21 pm

Hey no problem! I am just heading into Y3 with my one campo colony, but they are only at about 60 workers, but I have a huge brood pile over-wintering. I generally get two good hatches per year.

I feed a mix of honey and organic apple mainly. At one point I was using an organic sugar/maple syrup mix in water that they seemed to enjoy. My colonies do not ever really seem to be too picky, maybe try watering down the honey if you haven't already. Variety is definitely a good thing for them regardless. I would continue the fresh fruit and honey, and try a sweet mix in a test tube set-up that you can place in the outworld or attach to the nest
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

Alaydia

Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:49 pm

Ah, C. Penns, how I love these! My girls rather enjoyed hummingbird mix (do NOT use the colored stuff), if you want something different. But raw, unbleached sugar in water is a lot cheaper and they chug it just as fast. Kudos on giving them fruit. Are your girls awake yet? Mine are still on the snoozy side and haven't been interested in eating much yet. I hadn't planned on waking them until later this month, but their test tube was going dry.
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.