My Pheidole ants won’t move out of test tube !

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntsIsland

My Pheidole ants won’t move out of test tube !

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:44 am

My Pheidole indica is my biggest ant colony and they have a test tube without any water. They have covered the test tube with soil and tiny spaces where they did not cover with soil. I tried showing them to light but they hide in the dark spaces of the test tube. They have a queen and over 6 majors. They are housed in a Tubs and tubes setup.How do I make them move to a fresh test tube. Do you have a pheidole colony and did you have any problems with them ? Thanks :D :D

AntsIsland

Re: My Pheidole ants won’t move out of test tube !

Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:36 am

https://ibb.co/gvd2S8N. Here is a photo

AM1C39

Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:18 am

If they are being stubborn you can put them in the fridge for 3 to 6 minutes this will slow them down and make it easier to work. You will have the new test tube on hand and do the proses in a bin so its harder for them to escape. You can tap some of them in the new test tube but for the ones that do not go in like that you can use 3 pieces of cotton one to grab one worker at a time and the other two to block the entrance of the test tubes so they can not escape when you are working. Be very carful with the brood that you can move carefully with a BBQ skewer.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

AM1C39

Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:37 am

WARNING: You should only put them in the fridge if they are non-tropical species (they hibernate). If you put tropical species (do not hibernate) in the fridge or somewhere cold they can die.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]