Which hybrid nest for iridomyrmex

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

shaky33

Which hybrid nest for iridomyrmex

Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:23 am

G'day all.
I am about 90% sure that my queen is from the genus iridomyrmex and I was thinking about formicariums to house her when she grows to an adequate size. So i'm going to buy my formicarium off the AntsCanada store, thats definately happening. I was wondering which hybrid nest would be best for my iridomyrmex queen. Now, I know there's gonna be some person that tells me to buy the omni nest, but I dont want that. I feel the hybrid nest is sleeker and more convenient for my ant keeping space. So which HYBRID nest would be best for an iridomyrmex species?
Jackson, signing out!! 8-)
- Rhytidoponera metallica
- Camponotus consobrinus x2
- **** sp.
- Nylanderia sp.
- Melaphorus sp.
- Camponotus cairns
- Crematogaster sp.
- Colobopsis sp.
- Myrmecia nigrocinta
- Iridomyrmex purpureus
- Camponotus eastwoodi

AntLove5Ever

Re: Which hybrid nest for iridomyrmex

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:17 pm

shaky33 wrote:G'day all.
I am about 90% sure that my queen is from the genus iridomyrmex and I was thinking about formicariums to house her when she grows to an adequate size. So i'm going to buy my formicarium off the AntsCanada store, thats definately happening. I was wondering which hybrid nest would be best for my iridomyrmex queen. Now, I know there's gonna be some person that tells me to buy the omni nest, but I dont want that. I feel the hybrid nest is sleeker and more convenient for my ant keeping space. So which HYBRID nest would be best for an iridomyrmex species?
Jackson, signing out!! 8-)

You will definitely want Myrmica or Pogo.

AntLove5Ever

Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:25 pm

AntLove5Ever wrote:You will definitely want Myrmica or Pogo.
Or solenopsis

AnthonyP163

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Hmm, what makes you think that?? Iridomyrmex usually like small spaces, not the spacious ones like Myrmica.

Solenopsis or Pogo might be okay, yes.

AntLove5Ever

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:19 pm

AnthonyP163 wrote:Hmm, what makes you think that?? Iridomyrmex usually like small spaces, not the spacious ones like Myrmica.

Solenopsis or Pogo might be okay, yes.

From my experience they nest in big chambers with wide tinnels (My friend in australia gives them a natural nest and I saw them one time)