How often should I water my small AC Tower?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Haze809

How often should I water my small AC Tower?

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:10 pm

I have a small colony of about 100-200 red fire ants and they are doing relatively well in the ant tower.

I have a heating cable pretty close to one side of it, not directly touching it.. but it does provide good heat (and also condensation on the opposite side)

I can understand why condensation is happening.. I'm just curious how often I should re-fill the lower chamber with water. It dries up within 2-3 days and within a week of being dry, i can see the ants moving the brood away from the heating cable.. (where they typically are when the chamber is recently filled with water)

So again, how often should I re-fill the water chamber in the small AC tower? and should I aim to re-fill it to the top or half way ?

NKantsalberta

Re: How often should I water my small AC Tower?

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:50 pm

Haze809 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:10 pm
I have a small colony of about 100-200 red fire ants and they are doing relatively well in the ant tower.

I have a heating cable pretty close to one side of it, not directly touching it.. but it does provide good heat (and also condensation on the opposite side)

I can understand why condensation is happening.. I'm just curious how often I should re-fill the lower chamber with water. It dries up within 2-3 days and within a week of being dry, i can see the ants moving the brood away from the heating cable.. (where they typically are when the chamber is recently filled with water)

So again, how often should I re-fill the water chamber in the small AC tower? and should I aim to re-fill it to the top or half way ?
Sounds like you are heating it properly. I don't own a tower at the moment, but is there space in the reservoir for cotton or other material that will hold the water better for longer? Like what Mikey does with his hybrid nest. Solenopsis do like their humidity so they will move the brood accordingly.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

Haze809

Re: How often should I water my small AC Tower?

Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:05 am

I think there is enough space for the cotton balls.. I did use this technique on my hybrid nest and it worked well. I will try it with the ant tower and see how it goes. Thanks!