Small Ant Tower and RIFA

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Haze809

Small Ant Tower and RIFA

Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:06 pm

I have a colony of 100-200 red fire ants in a small AC tower connected to a test tube portal and an outworld.

The portal and outworld are quite secure when it comes to preventing my ants from escaping.. the problem is the small AC Tower.. The top of it had holes to allow from proper air circulation..they are small but my ants can still go in and out of them easily.

I've tried vaseline, olive oil and lately fluon.. I put it on on the edges of the tower and even removed the top and covered it with fluon. The holes are all still open, but ants do keep escaping like nothing. It's not a serious problem, its only 1 or 2 a day, some days none.. but I know they will only become more of a problem.. considering the huge amount of brood in the tower.

Any suggestions?

AM1C39

Re: Small Ant Tower and RIFA

Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:30 pm

Trie baby powder mixed with rubbing alcohol.
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

NKantsalberta

Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:46 pm

Haze809 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:06 pm
I have a colony of 100-200 red fire ants in a small AC tower connected to a test tube portal and an outworld.

The portal and outworld are quite secure when it comes to preventing my ants from escaping.. the problem is the small AC Tower.. The top of it had holes to allow from proper air circulation..they are small but my ants can still go in and out of them easily.

I've tried vaseline, olive oil and lately fluon.. I put it on on the edges of the tower and even removed the top and covered it with fluon. The holes are all still open, but ants do keep escaping like nothing. It's not a serious problem, its only 1 or 2 a day, some days none.. but I know they will only become more of a problem.. considering the huge amount of brood in the tower.

Any suggestions?
Can you maybe find a metal wire mesh that is woven tight enough to put over the vent holes? Fairly cheap off amazon and they shouldn't be able to chew through it. That should do the trick.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

Haze809

Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:36 am

@NKantsalberta
Oh man this is a great idea! I can easily cut it and make it the shape of the top of the ant tower. I'll have to keep an eye to make sure they don't push it up, but if they do.. ill try to find a way to glue it with some non-toxic solution. I just ordered one from Amazon, I'm sure it will work. Thank you!

@AM1C39
This may work for the outworld, but not recommended for the ant tower because of the humidity rising and condensation would eventually make that solution rub off.. Fluon is supposed to be the premier solution but didn't work out for me in the out world..

AM1C39

Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:23 pm

You could also stuff all the holes with cotton (probably to many holes do).
My current colonies:
-Miniature Military(formica neogagates)
-Black Hearts(crematogaster cerasi)
In search of new camponotus colony
[Have a look at antmaps.org]

NKantsalberta

Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:55 pm

Haze809 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:36 am
@NKantsalberta
Oh man this is a great idea! I can easily cut it and make it the shape of the top of the ant tower. I'll have to keep an eye to make sure they don't push it up, but if they do.. ill try to find a way to glue it with some non-toxic solution. I just ordered one from Amazon, I'm sure it will work. Thank you!

@AM1C39
This may work for the outworld, but not recommended for the ant tower because of the humidity rising and condensation would eventually make that solution rub off.. Fluon is supposed to be the premier solution but didn't work out for me in the out world..
Hope it works for you! if you don't want to risk the glue, just use something to weigh it down.
GAN farmer for Edmonton and area, Alberta, Canada.

Facebook/Instagram : @NKantsalberta

Alberta Keeper's FB Group : Alberta Ant Keepers and Enthusiasts

Alaydia

Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:45 pm

Are you sure your ants are not escaping because they need more room? Might try moving them to a larger formicarium, although I'd avoid another tower if they're getting out. I, of course, am biased because I think one RIFA loose is two too many (I have a serious hate-on for those buggers), but I'd be doing whatever it takes to keep them from escaping.

Did the mesh idea work?
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditiones habes

Main interest is C. Pennsylvanicus, interested in most native ants to my area.