Thoughts on making a small lure holder tackle box into a formicarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MichiganAnts

Thoughts on making a small lure holder tackle box into a formicarium

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:15 pm

first off my inspiration was from CaptainRedBeardd

so while updating my pc and reading what CaptainRedBeardd was doing i began to look at my starting nests and think, how can i improve these and make my job of feeding and watering my small colony easier on me and them. then i had the idea, compartmentalization!!

so i looked in my long forgotten fishing gear and found this. it is able to be slotted off and i could easily cut/drill holes to let the colony expand. plus if i used a deterrent around the high walls i could simply open it up, block off the food/water.. change it.. unblock it, then close the lid. id have to also add air holes and my tiny colony would only use up 1 or 2 rooms, but then i had a better idea.. if that worked i could (until they got bigger) put BOTH my little colonies in here.. 1 up top, 1 on the bottom.

i wouldnt add any dirt or anything fancy for them to play with. but it would be alot easier on me and the ants. any thoughts? as you may or may not know from my journal, currently i have 1 nest in a tiny formicarium, and they always have a worker watching the entrance, so feeding them is a pain in the butt!. and my other colony i found today and they are in a cup with a lid on it.. now i am still planning on getting Antcanadas' starter pack so both colonies have the same kind of nest and such. but this could work till then. and if i dont do it this year i could move them into this after hibernation.

so what are your thoughts?

CaptainRedBeardd

Re: Thoughts on making a small lure holder tackle box into a formicarium

Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:54 pm

I think it'll turn out great! Just make sure you keep us updated as you go. I would love to see yours get built, as well!

MichiganAnts

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:04 pm

well a buddy of mine is planning on selling me nests, but i might build this aswell. if worst case i could make this an outworld. but it would be a sweet nest

CaptainRedBeardd

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:40 pm

xW1Z25x wrote:well a buddy of mine is planning on selling me nests, but i might build this aswell. if worst case i could make this an outworld. but it would be a sweet nest
I think making this an outworld would not be very good. But hey, to each their own! Haha. Maybe just put it together for fun and keep it in case you find a nice small colony in the wild!