Do ants care if they're on plastic versus glass?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

ttshaw1

Do ants care if they're on plastic versus glass?

Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:47 pm

I've been trying to get my 12 worker solenopsis colony to move into a new test tube for a new week. The new tube should be better in terms of heat, light, and lack of mold. But the ants still won't move. Is it possible they're staying put because they like the current glass tube more than the new plastic one?

bugging3out

Re: Do ants care if they're on plastic versus glass?

Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:59 pm

So if you want to move your colony, you will have to force them. First get the queen and put the queen in the new test tube, Using your finger or with a soft cue tip. Then, get all the brood without missing a thing or hurting the brood. and put them in the tube with their queen. Then, get the workers by getting them on your hand and to trick them going in the tube with Their brood and their queen. Then put your ants in a dark place for a week. It very stressful for the colony to be forced move. But if it is necessary then it must happen.
Best of luck, bugging out.
Hope you do not get stung. :lol:
Why did I even make a signature if I am just gonna say this.