How to stop mold in terrarium setup?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MarketTree

How to stop mold in terrarium setup?

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:36 am

Hello,

I recently created a terrarium setup using a large jar. Unfortunately though, I'm beginning to notice white fuzzy mold beginning to form on some of the soil. The Formica species that we've added are still living in their tube, so they don't seem to be too bothered, but I'd obviously like to find a good solution to this. Could there possibly be another ant-friendly critter that I could add?

I leave the top off of the terrarium as often as possible to keep airflow going.
Before adding the soil, I baked it in the oven to kill off anything that may be living there.
I've added several isopods and as many springtails as I could find.
And it's difficult to see from the pic, but there is a drainage layer below the soil.

antnest8

Re: How to stop mold in terrarium setup?

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:56 am

Wow! That Formicarium looks dope! You seems to have put in a lot of the safety measures already in place to combat mold and I am surprised to hear that mold still seems to exist. Obviously, make sure that there is not a lot old and decaying organic matter in there (uneaten bugs, dead plants, ect.). Also, make sure that the environment is stable, don't have it super wet and then don't water it for a few weeks, large swings in humidity often cause mold in my experience. Keeping air flowing; like you have said, you take off the lid as often as possible to do this. One question though, Do you have a barrier or do you just use the lid? If you have a barrier you could leave the lid off as long as you want (and it's preferable since the build up of humidity would ruin some barriers). If leaving the lid off still doesn't do it then you can turn the fan on in the room (if you have one) or if you want to go overkill, some ant keepers use aquarium pumps to create airflow (and the new AntsCanada nests have special slots for them). You can also go in there and remove any thing collecting large amounts of mold.

Remember, most kinds of mold are not bad for ants in normal quantities, so as long as there is not a whole bunch and only a bit the ants are most likely going to do fine.
Some of My Informative Sheets
https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19099
Includes :
  • Ant Care Sheets
    Queen Hunting
    How To Identify Ants
Goal is to become #2 poster on the forum

MarketTree

Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:25 am

antnest8 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:56 am
Wow! That Formicarium looks dope! You seems to have put in a lot of the safety measures already in place to combat mold and I am surprised to hear that mold still seems to exist. Obviously, make sure that there is not a lot old and decaying organic matter in there (uneaten bugs, dead plants, ect.). Also, make sure that the environment is stable, don't have it super wet and then don't water it for a few weeks, large swings in humidity often cause mold in my experience. Keeping air flowing; like you have said, you take off the lid as often as possible to do this. One question though, Do you have a barrier or do you just use the lid? If you have a barrier you could leave the lid off as long as you want (and it's preferable since the build up of humidity would ruin some barriers). If leaving the lid off still doesn't do it then you can turn the fan on in the room (if you have one) or if you want to go overkill, some ant keepers use aquarium pumps to create airflow (and the new AntsCanada nests have special slots for them). You can also go in there and remove any thing collecting large amounts of mold.

Remember, most kinds of mold are not bad for ants in normal quantities, so as long as there is not a whole bunch and only a bit the ants are most likely going to do fine.
Thanks a lot! We're pretty happy with the way it turned out. I've used a barrier of petroleum jelly which has seemed to work so far. It's moisture proof and I haven't noticed any of the ants investigating it too closely.

Yes, I've been leaving the lid off as often as possible, which I think has been helping. At this point, the mold is mostly a little white fuzz on the surface of the soil in some places. I really don't think it's TOO much of a concern at this point, but I've lost queens to this in the past and now a little nervous.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I really appreciate it!

AntsLuxembourg

Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:35 am

MarketTree wrote:
Yes, I've been leaving the lid off as often as possible, which I think has been helping. At this point, the mold is mostly a little white fuzz on the surface of the soil in some places. I really don't think it's TOO much of a concern at this point, but I've lost queens to this in the past and now a little nervous.
I remember having white fuzzy mold too. For me it came with the driftwood I placed inside. I had to remove all the wood pieces, plus some of the soil I used. It was clay soil so it was kind of easy to do. I also noticed that I didn't had to water the setup as often as I though since it kept the water / humidity quite well. The only thing I would have recommended was to keep the testtube outside the outworld for the time being and observe how the outworld was doing in regards to mold. Cleaning out the mold and then observing some more.
Doing some proper research is the best way to start an antcolony.

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Currently not keeping any ants anymore.

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:59 am

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:35 am
MarketTree wrote:
I remember having white fuzzy mold too. For me it came with the driftwood I placed inside. I had to remove all the wood pieces, plus some of the soil I used. It was clay soil so it was kind of easy to do. I also noticed that I didn't had to water the setup as often as I though since it kept the water / humidity quite well. The only thing I would have recommended was to keep the testtube outside the outworld for the time being and observe how the outworld was doing in regards to mold. Cleaning out the mold and then observing some more.
Springtails and isopods will eat mold.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:56 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
He already mentioned that he caught Springtails and Isopods and put them inside of the world. ;)

Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

SolenopsisKeeper

Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:23 pm

AntsLuxembourg wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:56 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
He already mentioned that he caught Springtails and Isopods and put them inside of the world. ;)
Sorry I missed that
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsLuxembourg

Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:39 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:23 pm
Sorry I missed that
Can happen. ;)

terrellgriffin

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:20 am

In order to make sure that your mold does not develop on or inside the terrarium. Thus, there are some good steps you need to follow:
1. At first, you need to make sure that your glassware is neat and clean. Often we purchase good glassware from a good brand and make sure we use it straightaway since we feel that cleanliness comes along nicely with them. But the case is the opposite since you need to get rid of the bacteria that comes on the walls.
2. Always boil your gravel in the perfect way. The drainage layer of gravel seems to be one of the more common areas for mold to develop onto. This is like a written practice whenever your buy an aquarium and a terrarium. Gravel needs to be clean and this boiling in hot water helps the case. Leave this to boil for around 15 minutes, then carefully drain out the water into the sink and let the gravel air-dry for a few hours.
3. Harmful chemicals can reside in the soils, substrate, and water you hydrate your terrarium with and can damage your plants and your moss. Activated charcoal is a special, treated version of charcoal that has an incredibly high surface area. The porous surface works to absorb toxins and chemicals, thus eliminating bad odors and promoting a healthy ecosystem.
4. Due to the phenolic compounds embedded in the moss’s cell walls, the peat formed from sphagnum is slow to decay, and they develop low-PH anaerobic conditions within the soil, reducing microbial formations such as mycelium.
5. Each layer serves a function, and your substrate’s provision of nutrition is arguably the most vital for a plant-based closed terrarium. One way to assure your soil is safe is to sterilize it just as you would a sturdy glass vessel.

terrellgriffin

Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:51 am

Hello,
If keeping a terrarium, it is necessary to create a comfortable ecosystem: https://mytutorsource.qa/blog/ecosystem/ for them. To get rid of mold in a terrarium, gently remove all of the plants and accessories. The container must next be disinfected by washing it with soap and hot water. Any stones or other ornaments should also be washed.
Mold, in general, has little effect on healthy plants. It becomes a concern if it begins to take over the entire terrarium, although a small amount of fuzz is not a severe hazard. Fungi are saprotrophic, and a mold is a form of fungus.
You must act quickly if you see mold or fungus in your terrarium. That's because it'll spread and do more harm if it doesn't. Mold (fungus) appears as white fluff or webbing in the terrarium and can appear everywhere. Other varieties of fungus may appear as black or brilliant patches on plant leaves, for example. Mealybugs, which can occasionally be seen on plants, are not to be confused with mold. Mealybugs are little white bugs with a bulkier appearance. To get rid of mealybugs on a plant, soak a cotton bud in alcohol and gently wipe the mealybugs away. Remove the plant and replace it with a healthy one if a large percentage of it is damaged.