Mold in test tubes...

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MarketTree

Mold in test tubes...

Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately, I have a problem with mold in my test tubes. Currently, I have 5 Lasius Neoniger, each with broods between 7-10 and a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus & Formica with only eggs.

Last year, I actually had 3 Camponotus, each with larva. When 2 of their tubes began to mold, I tipped them into clean tubes but got so stressed that they ate their larva.

When these fresh tubes began to mold, along with my 3rd Camponotus, I connected fresh tubes and have them the opportunity to move on their own. I even put 2 or them with lights over the moldy tubes with the clean ones in darkness, but all 3 queens refused to move and eventually died covered in mold.

What am I doing wrong? I’m using fresh cotton, clean bottled water and I always thoroughly clean the tubes before I use them. :(

rakuichijou

Re: Mold in test tubes...

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:33 am

The problem is,your supposed to sanitize everything even your hand and buy brand new cotton so it doesn't have much bacteria on in.And making the test tube your support to push the cotton fast so the air doesn't enter the water. :D
Keeper of:
solenopsis geminata
tetramorium bicarinatum
Ghost ants
pheidole,
and black crazy ants, polyrhachis semiinermis
and weaver ants

#AntLove ;) :evil: :twisted:

MarketTree

Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:30 pm

rakuichijou wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:33 am
The problem is,your supposed to sanitize everything even your hand and buy brand new cotton so it doesn't have much bacteria on in.And making the test tube your support to push the cotton fast so the air doesn't enter the water. :D
Yeah, I thought that I had been doing that, but apparently things haven’t been clean enough.

Thanks a lot!

rakuichijou

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:24 am

Anything for a fellow ant keeper
Keeper of:
solenopsis geminata
tetramorium bicarinatum
Ghost ants
pheidole,
and black crazy ants, polyrhachis semiinermis
and weaver ants

#AntLove ;) :evil: :twisted:

SkeleAnt

Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:43 pm

For an additional note, ants are used to living in dark, moist areas that mold is common to. They aren't necessarily in danger just because there's mold in their test tube (although it doesn't hurt them if they don't have any.) That's probably why they didn't want to move to new test tubes that lacked mold; what humans would think is unsanitary and dangerous isn't the same for ants, and they were probably very comfortable in their original tubes despite the mold. I have a colony that absolutely refused to rehome themselves despite the very successful green mold completely covering their cotton ball. I only forced the issue (and this took weeks of using lights for certain periods before they FINALLY moved out) when they were using the moldy area for their trash instead of their outworld, which was just making the mold worse.

Most likely your queens didn't die from the mold, the mold just spread to them after they passed. Unless it's one of those parasite fungi, mold has a hard time growing on something alive and moving around. It usually wants to grow on dead/decomposing things to aid in that process. Ants are also very clean, always grooming themselves and cleaning their brood to prevent mold and other dirt clinging to them in the first place. I'd say it's more likely they died from other causes (stress from being coaxed into moving, other health issues, and honestly sometimes queens just die with no explanation no matter what you do).

Everything about sanitizing your set up equipment and hands is true, and advice you should follow! But I wouldn't put money on the mold being the cause of your ants' dying.
2 founding formica subsericea
1 aphaenogaster rudis
1 brachymyrmex depilis
More still founding!

MarketTree

Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:58 pm

SkeleAnt wrote:
Everything about sanitizing your set up equipment and hands is true, and advice you should follow! But I wouldn't put money on the mold being the cause of your ants' dying.
Great insights! I really appreciate the feedback. You old-school pros make this look so easy! :D

jamebone

Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:51 pm

SkeleAnt wrote:
For an additional note, ants are used to living in dark, moist areas that mold is common to. They aren't necessarily in danger just because there's mold in their test tube (although it doesn't hurt them if they don't have any.) That's probably why they didn't want to move to new test tubes that lacked mold; what humans would think is unsanitary and dangerous isn't the same for ants, and they were probably very comfortable in their original tubes despite the mold. I have a colony that absolutely refused to rehome themselves despite the very successful green mold completely covering their cotton ball. I only forced the issue (and this took weeks of using lights for certain periods before they FINALLY moved out) when they were using the moldy area for their trash instead of their outworld, which was just making the mold worse.

Most likely your queens didn't die from the mold, the mold just spread to them after they passed. Unless it's one of those parasite fungi, mold has a hard time growing on something alive and moving around. It usually wants to grow on dead/decomposing things to aid in that process. Ants are also very clean, always grooming themselves and cleaning their brood to prevent mold and other dirt clinging to them in the first place. I'd say it's more likely they died from other causes (stress from being coaxed into moving, other health issues, and honestly sometimes queens just die with no explanation no matter what you do).
https://freefireforpcdl.com/

this is really cool [bruce]

SolenopsisKeeper

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:32 am

uisdudha wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:43 am
MarketTree wrote:
Hello,

Unfortunately, I have'nt a problem with mold in my test tubes. Currently, I have 5 Lasius Neoniger, each with broods between 7-10 and a Camponotus pennsylvanicus & Formica with only eggs.

Last year, I actually had 3 Camponotus, each with larva. When 2 of their tubes began to mold, I tipped them into clean tubes but got so stressed that they ate their larva.

When these fresh tubes began to mold, along with my 3rd Camponotus, I connected fresh tubes and have them the opportunity to move on their own. I even put 2 or them with lights over the moldy tubes with the clean ones in darkness, but all 3 queens refused to move and eventually died covered in mold.

What am I doing wrong? I’m using fresh cotton, clean bottled water and I always thoroughly clean the tubes before I use them. :(
Yeah I'm wondering this too.
https://thoptvpc.com/best-iphone-2021/
I always sumo mine… many people have this problem, and some people call them suicidal. As small colonies they will not move until it is too late… you can try using distilled water when making fresh tubes.
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

AntsAntsAnts

Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:37 am

SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
uisdudha wrote:
MarketTree wrote:
Hello,

Unfortunately, I have'nt a problem with mold in my test tubes. Currently, I have 5 Lasius Neoniger, each with broods between 7-10 and a Camponotus pennsylvanicus & Formica with only eggs.

I always sumo mine… many people have this problem, and some people call them suicidal. As small colonies they will not move until it is too late… you can try using distilled water when making fresh tubes.

Once when some acrobat ants somehow went into the test tube, they were trying to kill my queens so I just forced them into the other test tube setup by tapping the test tube until the all fell into it. This is dangerous and may injure your queen. Don't do it unless it is a life/death situation.
keeping:
all my queens died :(
got a sugar ant colony started :)

SolenopsisKeeper

Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:54 am

AntsAntsAnts wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:37 am
SolenopsisKeeper wrote:
uisdudha wrote:

Once when some acrobat ants somehow went into the test tube, they were trying to kill my queens so I just forced them into the other test tube setup by tapping the test tube until the all fell into it. This is dangerous and may injure your queen. Don't do it unless it is a life/death situation.
It was dangerous Becuase the ants never made a bathroom site, so I couldn’t see the bottom cm of the tube Becuase it was a bunch of yellow dots(poop I think)
When you accidentally reply to yourself…