Best way to glue?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

CaptainRedBeardd

Best way to glue?

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Hey everyone, getting my own formicarium and outworld together..but, just a question.

What is the best way (and safest for the ants) to glue vinyl tubes to an acrylic outworld? Most of the silicone I'm seeing says don't use on plastics.. Even the aquarium safe loctite says no plastics.. What does everyone use? Or does the loctite aquarium silicone work okay?

Thanks!

AntLove5Ever

Re: Best way to glue?

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:18 pm

CaptainRedBeardd wrote:Hey everyone, getting my own formicarium and outworld together..but, just a question.

What is the best way (and safest for the ants) to glue vinyl tubes to an acrylic outworld? Most of the silicone I'm seeing says don't use on plastics.. Even the aquarium safe loctite says no plastics.. What does everyone use? Or does the loctite aquarium silicone work okay?

Thanks!
I use hot glue, tape, or silicone caulking.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:00 pm

Aquarium silicone or Food grade silicone are fine with acrylic. I've used it many times and it works great. Biggest thing is to let it gas out (during the curing process silicone emits a gas that can be toxic) a few days before you put ants into it.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

CaptainRedBeardd

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:45 am

MadVampy wrote:Aquarium silicone or Food grade silicone are fine with acrylic. I've used it many times and it works great. Biggest thing is to let it gas out (during the curing process silicone emits a gas that can be toxic) a few days before you put ants into it.
Perfect, thank you!

RainbowScience

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:31 am

CaptainRedBeardd wrote:Hey everyone, getting my own formicarium and outworld together..but, just a question.

Thanks!
I don't know the exact set up you are going for, but I think that not gluing tubes into place is the best option. If you have a way to fit them via friction it will be a secure connection, but you'll have the option to disconnect the tubing.

CaptainRedBeardd

Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:34 am

RainbowScience wrote:

Thanks!
I don't know the exact set up you are going for, but I think that not gluing tubes into place is the best option. If you have a way to fit them via friction it will be a secure connection, but you'll have the option to disconnect the tubing.

Well, my biggest fear is a fire ant colony getting loose inside my apartment.. Haha. So I'm just trying to make it as secure as possible. I can always cut off the silicone, or the tubes, if need be. The way I'm building my nests will be incredibly cheap so, when I'm due to change nests, I can just throw out the old ones. I just don't trust friction-held only tubes..haha.

I did find some nice adhesive that is meant for acrylic and other plastics so, it should be fine. It is 100% silicone with no additives. It was in Home Depot right by the acrylic sheets.

Thanks!

parsonadhesive

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:02 am

Acrylic adhesives and acrylate adhesives provide excellent environmental resistance and fast-setting times when compared to other resins systems.
http://www.parsonadhesives.com/partite-parbond/acrylic-adhesives.htm