rate my setup.

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

AntLove5Ever

rate my setup.

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:37 pm

My setup for myrmica. If anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it. To quote AC "everyone likes spoiling their ants."
Also tips for getting that extra humidity myrmica loves so much?

Inside the tube of paper (which is there for shade) I have a test tube setup, and in my foraging area I have a thin layer of loose sand on some plaster of paris. there is 2 holes on the lid for air, each plugged by cotton. I am planning on getting a heat cable when I find somewhere that sells them. She was caught 9/20 and I'm expecting eggs either within the next 14 days or after her hibernation. I don't really know how to get the area extra wet without molding occurring any help would be great.

Batspiderfish

Re: rate my setup.

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:22 am

I feel like this setup is going to be too wet. Out worlds should typically be as dry as possible, to reduce mold and mites.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

nightxwolf88

Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:09 am

I would believe that the test tube set up is plenty moist for them. When it is said myrmica like high humidity, it is meant in the nest. When the colony moves out of the test tube it is the formicarium that need to be kept at a higher humidity. The outworld can stay dry and as Batspiderfish stated should stay dry.

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:16 am

Batspiderfish wrote:I feel like this setup is going to be too wet. Out worlds should typically be as dry as possible, to reduce mold and mites.
Yeah, I meant more in the test tube, but I dont see how that is possible without it getting the whole thing humid because they are hooked up right next to each other.

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:12 am

The top of the container should be left off, with an escape-proof barrier applied (i.e. talcum mixture, fluon).
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:45 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:The top of the container should be left off, with an escape-proof barrier applied (i.e. talcum mixture, fluon).

Im not comfortable with the barriers because I'm so paranoid about escapes.

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:16 pm

Myrmica are not good climbers, just so you know. I would choose a container with smooth, vertical, non-slanting walls for an un-covered out world. I feel like this setup is going to run into moisture/circulation problems down the line. Maybe you can cut out a larger area, and use a stainless-steel mesh?

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:04 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Myrmica are not good climbers, just so you know. I would choose a container with smooth, vertical, non-slanting walls for an un-covered out world. I feel like this setup is going to run into moisture/circulation problems down the line. Maybe you can cut out a larger area, and use a stainless-steel mesh?
Yeah, that'd be more assuring. Do they make mesh thin enough to contain the workers?

Batspiderfish

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:12 pm

AntLove5Ever

Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:17 pm

Would some cloth work? or would they chew through that? Or maybe some window screen?

Basically something I can buy at home depot.