New to ant keeping

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Alumentum

New to ant keeping

Mon May 25, 2020 1:13 pm

Hello!

So, I fell in love with ants and I'd love to hop into ant keeping. In a year or two, I will have access to a large room which will become my critter room. I wanted to do a large formicarium that also housed the nest. Essentially, an aquarium that has the nest and outworld in one. I've decided to try phiedole ants as they do not sting nor hurt when biting. What would be considered too large for this species? I'm thinking 24"x24"x24" or 36"x24"x24".

Vincex

Re: New to ant keeping

Mon May 25, 2020 2:03 pm

This is just my opinion but start with a different species pheidole can be difficult to take care of and to contain there's loads of great beginner species out there !
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Alumentum

Mon May 25, 2020 2:33 pm

Well, any suggestions? I live in Hilliard north of Jacksonville Florida. I'm in a rural pine/mixed scrub area so there are TONS of ants around. I'm not exceptionally great at IDing species but, I have seen a few queens so far. Maybe I an nab a few of a decent species? My main concern is avoiding a species that stings. My mother is deathly allergic to insect stings. She'll never handle them but, I wont take that risk. It's bad enough with wasps, hornets and the stinging ants outside.

Vincex

Mon May 25, 2020 4:28 pm

Carpenter ants are a good starter species but slow to grow but I suppose it depends what you can find maybe someone more local might help you out !
Keeper of
1 lasius niger
1 pheidole pallidula
1 myrmica rubra
1 camponotus ligniperda

Alumentum

Mon May 25, 2020 4:51 pm

I'm a bit upset as I'm almost certain I saw a queen in my garden yesterday :(. A smallish black one, maybe Lasius sp or Tapinoma sp. Those would be perfect too perhaps.