Crazy idea (Like always!)

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

liufen001

Crazy idea (Like always!)

Sun May 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Another idea, could you maybe, just maybe, i can keep a species of ants (i am not sure what species fits this description) that the workers can walk in and out of the nest but the queen is traped in. feeding wont be a problem because of trophallaxis. A few problems on this might be: mold out breaks, parasite, and other things i have thought of in the past 5 min when i thought up of this idea :) the idea behing this is that the nest can be put outside without the colonie moving to somewhere you cant see it.
https://ibb.co/SQ61TTN

Comments, opinions?
if there are not too many concerens raised, then i might actually try this.

QJH2023

Re: Crazy idea (Like always!)

Mon May 25, 2020 9:19 am

I had the same idea! :) but here is what I do I take a AntsCanada restricted test tube adapter reamer the hole a bit with a drill then hook up to hybrid nest then tape 5/8 tubing to outworld. now I now this only works for queens that are quiet a bit bigger than the workers for example I used this method on my camponotus nov. colony worked great! the reason I did this was so I could have a natural outworld with out the queen nesting out there
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile

liufen001

Re: Crazy idea (Like always!)

Mon May 25, 2020 10:30 am

Great, I would like to try that out on one of my camponotus modoc colony!