Not using formicarium?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

alaska049

Not using formicarium?

Tue May 19, 2020 10:36 am

Hello, my formica ants are not using their formicarium. They have drug dirt into their formicarium and crowd the tube to the outworld. They have also brought brood into the tube as well. Please see pictures. Any suggestions or ideas about why they are doing this? Any help appreciated!

SkeleAnt

Re: Not using formicarium?

Tue May 19, 2020 11:02 am

It might be on my end, but your post doesn’t have any images attached.
First time ant keeper with 2 formica subsericea queens!

alaska049

Wed May 20, 2020 5:11 pm

hmm... everytime I try to attach them it says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." So I guess I can't attach it. Any thoughts anyway?

SkeleAnt

Sun May 24, 2020 12:47 am

Without images I can only theorize, but if they aren’t using the formicarium, they’ve decided it isn’t as good of a place to move as where they are currently. Ants are good judges of what they need in a home location. The tubes might have a better humidity balance for the brood, or they could be using the tubes as a staging area while they figure out how they want the move to go. The formicarium could be too dry, too wet, possibly too exposed if you don’t have a cover on it, etc.

The most likely reason they aren’t using the formicarium is that they don’t feel like they need it.
First time ant keeper with 2 formica subsericea queens!