When to upsize nest/formicarium?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

JDuke91

When to upsize nest/formicarium?

Thu May 07, 2020 12:54 am

Hey all, somewhat new to the forum. I have a myrmica rubra colony of about 200 workers and 7 queens(my estimate as they are small and hard to count) or so. I have them in a AusAnts ytong Small nest which says its good for 50-1000 ants. The question I have is when will i know that they are ready for a larger nest? Just generally by over crowding in the nest? I was thinking a mini hybrid nest would be what id move them into once ready but i dont know what ready looks like?
Thanks!
Keeper of
Myrmica Rubra Colony

Hawkeye

Re: When to upsize nest/formicarium?

Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:35 am

JDuke91 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 12:54 am
Hey all, somewhat new to the forum. I have a myrmica rubra colony of about 200 workers and 7 queens(my estimate as they are small and hard to count) or so. I have them in a AusAnts ytong Small nest which says its good for 50-1000 ants. The question I have is when will i know that they are ready for a larger nest? Just generally by over crowding in the nest? I was thinking a mini hybrid nest would be what id move them into once ready but i dont know what ready looks like?
Thanks!
Well you could probably see this based on how crowded the nest is, but I also suspect that your ants will intensify their attempts to escape in search of new territory to expand to.