I have recently come up with an idea for a habitat and I need all you ant experts to share your thoughts and steer me in the right direction. First I will introduce my ants and then I'll describe the plan.
The ants I currently have are tiny tiny tiny. I live in Florida and they are naturally caught. I believe they are "Ghost Ants".
Here are some pictures of the colony. Any name suggestions are appreciated
Here are some of my observations, so far:
- The Queen is about 4mm
- They haven't been eating anything I feed them (syrup, chocolate, berries, jam)
- The Queen is fast!!!
- She will abandon the brood without a second thought
Seeing that this is a relativity small species I had a light bulb moment. Have you guys watched the newest Trapjaw Video* by Mike? The collaboration with Serpadesign where he makes a terrarium in a bottle was amazing. I personally enjoy the aesthetic part of Ant Keeping.
I have also been wanting to test out another idea; A Desert Island Scene(More on that soon). So, while I found this jar in the garage, everything came together. Make a Desert Island in a Jar!
I know, I know, I'm either an idiot or a genius. So, I would like to better describe my idea as well as outline some of the problems I foresee and maybe you experts can better judge my plan.
- I would use sand in place of dirt.
- I think artificial plants would be the choice (unless you guys think I can pull off mini beach plants in it.
- I was thinking an extra step I could take is putting a plastic membrane on the side of the jar in some area to be a shore-type addition to the habitat (A lot easier said than done).
- An either artificial or sculpted mini Volcano in the middle.
- Would the ants survive in a sand only environment.
- If I put a dirt layer, the dirt would end up probably all over the place from ant tunneling, which I find undesirable since it would ruin the sand scene.
- For the shore idea, would it be a problem that the water isn't running/circulating and that it just stays still?
- How would I handle cleaning, maintenance?
- Why are the ants not eating? -____-
- Will keeping the sand moderately moist allow the ants to tunnel without caving in the sand?
- I have this tiny little piece of doubt that the ant I think is the queen isn't really a queen...