Natural Set up

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

BluMoon

Natural Set up

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:01 am

Hi there,

I know that there are some ant keepers that give their queens a natural space for their founding stage, where they dig their own claustral chamber. I wanted to do the same for my queen, but I was wondering how she would get water.

It has been a couple of weeks now that I have had this Pavement ant queen, who I caught during her nuptial flight. I am quite sure she has mated ( because I saw it in action ) but she still has not laid any eggs. It is becoming close to winter now, so will she hibernate, and so should I just let her lay eggs in spring?

Thanks
Keeper of 1 x Strobe Ant Queen + Larvae + 0 x Workers :D

qwerty264

Re: Natural Set up

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:47 am

I would always recommend the test tube setup to any ant keeper as it is way easier to monitor. I've successfully tried keeping a trap jaw queen in a natural setup but had to eventually let the colony go as i was too busy with too many colonies to take care of. I assume she drinks water from the moisture in the soil so i always made sure to keep one side of the setup moist and the other side dry, this is to let the queen have a choice on which part of the soil she prefers most. I also always made sure to keep the humidity and moisture at a constant level. As for hibernation, i'm sorry but i have no experience in hibernating ants as i live in a tropical country, good luck!

BluMoon

Re: Natural Set up

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:07 am

Thanks for the help
I am now looking after a strobe ant queen,
I believe that they are also in south-east asia :D
Keeper of 1 x Strobe Ant Queen + Larvae + 0 x Workers :D