Lasius claviger habitat

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MrKaiser

Lasius claviger habitat

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:59 pm

I got a small colony of Lasius claviger, 5 workers and a Queen, from Canada Ants Colony. It came in a small circular habitat with two holes in the sides for air and to put food in. The substrate seems to be a compact grey foam, but I'm not sure what it's called. It also has two other holes on opposite sides with 2 tubes that at 90 degree angles and go into the substrate. What I'm wondering is what the tubes are for? I'm guessing they might be for adding moisture to the substrate but I just want to be sure. Another thing is, whenever I try to add in a drop of honey as food the substrate just ends up absorbing it before the ants have had a chance to find it. If anyone knows how to properly use this habitat and could tell me it would be greatly appreciated.

AncestorX

Re: Lasius claviger habitat

Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:21 pm

With regards to feeding, best option is to put the honey onto some cotton wool and let it soak in, then place the wool in. This will allow the ants to drink from it without risking downing or it being absorbed by the substrate.

If the fornicarium is what I think it is, then yes the 90deg tubes are for watering. Is it similar to this one being made here by AntNetwork?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iceahERV8DU&list=PLxx7KlKFSBOHoHTs2nT1XM_scJnMXPZJq&index=4