100% hot glue ant nest?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

DCheezi

100% hot glue ant nest?

Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:04 am

Recently, as my two ant colonies start to grow bigger, I've been thinking about different ways to make ant nests. I have made a plaster one, but I know that plaster molds easily, and in the UK there is no ytong/AAC/aircrete (though I am going to be getting some firebrick to try and work with that.). As I'm only 17 I don't have a steady source of income. :?

I have a few ideas, but the one I'm most curious about is making an ant nest (almost) completely out of hot glue. I have heard of people using hot glue to stick glass or acrylic panels to their ant nests, using it for sticking tubing to outworlds, stick test tubes down and all sorts of stuff, so I know there are some ant-safe types of hot glue.
My thoughts are that it wouldn't mold as quickly as plaster would, as it doesn't retain moisture as well, and that it would be easy to make and cheap to get. If I were to make a mistake, all I would need is to heat up whatever I bunged up and re-do or re-work it.
There are definitely some species of ant that could chew through it, but I have no plans on housing them in it. I would try it with L. Niger ants first, to see what damage they can do to it.
The hot glue wouldn't be completely transparent, but I would be using a glass pane for the window anyway.
Does anyone see any blatant issues with this that I'm missing? I haven't seen it done before, so there is some level of risk to doing this, and that's why I felt like asking here first. Has anyone done it? Thoughts? Any ideas? I will make a new thread with what it looks like when (if) I do it. No heat mats will be used with it, nor close lights. I would monitor the nest when it's done in the spot I would keep the ants with it to see how it does, and I will be using two spots on opposite sides from each other for the humidity, I would want to see how easily the hot glue molds.
Even if it goes bad, at least it will give me some practice with working with hot glue :D
Keeper of founding L. Niger colony (~10 workers)
Keeper of founding M. Barbarus colony (20-30 media and minor workers) :)

AusAnts

Re: 100% hot glue ant nest?

Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:03 am

It will be interesting to see how well it works if you do this. Only problems i see is hydration, toxic glue, and gaps for ants to escape.
2 x iridomyrmex sp Queen:15+ workers
2 x iridomyrmex pallidus: 40+ workers
1 x pheidole megacephala:2 queen 300 workers.
1 x opisthopsis Queen: 14 workers