Is my formicarium ok for Myrmica Rubra?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Jevans867

Is my formicarium ok for Myrmica Rubra?

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:42 am

Hi guys and girls, I have set up a modular system for some Myrmica Rubra. Ignore the tank on the left it’s housing my messor barbarus colony. The second tank and four cylinders are the ones in question. They have soil with slates on top and a few mixed in. A small heat mat under the tank and an aquarium t5 tube above. There is an auto water dropper piped in for one minute per day. I was unsure as to what else I need to do for them before I go ahead and get a young colony. What’s their ideal diet and should I use and plants/ any moss etc. Oh and also does anyone know if you can later add more fresh queens to the colony once it’s matured a little?.

https://i.imgur.com/yojJ2pz.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Jim, UK

QJH2023

Re: Is my formicarium ok for Myrmica Rubra?

Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 pm

say where did you get those containers they look awsome :D
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile

QJH2023

Wed May 06, 2020 7:40 pm

you can mix them but they may reject her place another queen at your own risk!
keeper of: 41xCamponotus novaeboracensis, Crematogaster spp. and unidentified species and tapinoma sessile

Timmannen7

Tue May 12, 2020 1:22 pm

they will accept more queens, you can catch queens in established colonies and put them in the outworld. My myrmica rubra colony has never rejected a queen. If i am correct the myrmica queens have a much shorter lifespan than other ant species so i would catch queens every summer.
it dosen't matter how large the colony is as long that workers are present:)
:ugeek: ;)
Formica rufibarbis
Odontomachus monticola
Tetramorim sp