Test tube setup

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

ninicobi

Test tube setup

Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:52 am

I found 2 pheidole queens and 2 pheidole males, the queens still have wings so should I keep the queens and males in the test tube together?

Goldendoodle50

Re: Test tube setup

Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:33 pm

I found 2 pheidole queens and 2 pheidole males, the queens still have wings so should I keep the queens and males in the test tube together?

:arrow: it might be too late but quick :!: :!: :!: put them together and if they mate that is cool
put them in a seethrough box and put test tube setups inside it and cover them up with some opaque material
and put all four of them in

:!: :!: remember that put two test tube setups tho
this would mean that the 2 males that you caught have to be from different colonies
and the two females have to ignore each other.....

Hawkeye

Re: Test tube setup

Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:15 am

ninicobi wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:52 am
It's unlikely they will still mate, as the queens will only mate during the nuptial flight. The male alates will die after mating, having served their purpose. You could of course put them together, but chances are nothing will happen.
Find out if your species is polygenous, before you put 2 queens together. If they don't support multiple queens in one nest, they'll eventually fight to the death to take out the competition. Which will result in a dead queen and likely an injured queen...