Good new and bad news

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Austheboss

Good new and bad news

Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:52 am

Good news: My tetramorium colony moved out of the test tube that has mold and killed some eggs (not larvae or pupae thank goodness), and also let out an ant which I cant find.

Bad news: They moved right into the dirt I put in their outworld to encourage them to forage. They are currently under a piece of aluminum with sugar water cotton on top. I did supply another test tube next to it, so idk what they were thinking. :?

But anyhow, I need them out of there and into the test tube that's right in front of them currently. Should I remove the aluminum foil? Can I some how remove all dirt except where they are and then scoop the dirt into the test tube, risking mold and damage to the brood? I really don't know much about this so any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!
BTW they are doing just fine, saw them foraging, maybe looking for new places to nest, so should I put test tube where they are exiting? Just another idea.
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

Batspiderfish

Re: Good new and bad news

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:14 am

Let them be, for now. They're probably going to give up living in dry soil after a while and move into the tube. It is generally not a good idea to put tons of soil in the foraging area, for this reason.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

AnthonyP163

Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:59 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Let them be, for now. They're probably going to give up living in dry soil after a while and move into the tube. It is generally not a good idea to put tons of soil in the foraging area, for this reason.
Yeah, I made the same mistake...

Just one thing of advice, never do that again, especially with Tetramorium, they are some of the most stubborn movers ever.

Austheboss

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:58 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:Let them be, for now. They're probably going to give up living in dry soil after a while and move into the tube. It is generally not a good idea to put tons of soil in the foraging area, for this reason.
Funny thing is I actually didn't put enough for them to burrow, but because the aluminum, it acted as a ceiling, so the dirt wouldn't crush them.
But youre right, next time will put either thin layer of sand or thin layer of packed dirt.
They seem OK, I hope to see more workers but they were already due for many more. Hopefully they will still make it past this stage. Thanks!

Austheboss

Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:19 pm

Update!
They are doing great! I forced them to move by removing the ceiling of each "den" they made, and eventually they were trapped and couldn't find another home, except for the test tube. It took some time to persuade them, the queen was so determined NOT to move into the tube that for like 3 hours she kept them in the open while her workers searched for more places, but finding none other than the test tube they were forced to move there. They are now in the tube drinking honey. Thanks for the help! :D

nightxwolf88

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:57 pm

It is actually the workers that decide to move and pick the new nest. After they have found and agreed upon a site they then move the queen there so she was just out in the open until her workers found a suitable nest for them.