Lighting for live plant vivarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Monarch

Lighting for live plant vivarium

Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:47 am

I currently have my solenopsis Invicta in a live planted vivarium and they are doing great! What lighting do you or Mike use in your live terrarium/vivariums?

Currently i just have 2 bulbs; 10 watt compact fluorescent lightblulb 6500K and LED 9 watt 2700K. This is a 5 gallon aquarium setup. Growing irish moss, asparagus fern and pennywort.

Its difficult to find good lighting around here so what are you guys using? what is mikey using tanks?

antperson24

Re: Lighting for live plant vivarium

Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:33 pm

Monarch wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:47 am
I currently have my solenopsis Invicta in a live planted vivarium and they are doing great! What lighting do you or Mike use in your live terrarium/vivariums?

Currently i just have 2 bulbs; 10 watt compact fluorescent lightblulb 6500K and LED 9 watt 2700K. This is a 5 gallon aquarium setup. Growing irish moss, asparagus fern and pennywort.

Its difficult to find good lighting around here so what are you guys using? what is mikey using tanks?
This is what I use (you could probably find one for a five gallon aquarium): https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-LED-10-Gallon-Fish-Tank-Hood/20693147?from=searchResults
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN