Needing help with cataglyphis sp.

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

DesertGirl

Needing help with cataglyphis sp.

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:16 am

Hi!

I live in the United Arab Emirates, middle east, desert, HOT!

The municipality was doing some work on the grass and disturbed a nest. I saw the ants moving eggs and I waited out for the queen to come out.

I got 30+ workers and the queen. They are in a test tube set up placed in a aquarium with some sand. The queen already played MANY eggs so I guess she is happy.

I couldn't find much info about these beauties online so am I here seeking HELP.

I want to build them a gypsum nest. What kind of nest is best for them? For around 30 workers and 50 eggs hatching in a month, what size of nest should I build? I don't want to have them making a graveyard or trash centre inside the nest... so i dont want to make a mistake with the size.

How moist? How make sponge holes should i put in the nest? What do they eat? I am giving insects and honey. Do they have multiple queens?

PLEEEASE someone... PLEASE teach me more about them.