Moving queen with workers to omni nest.

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Austheboss

Moving queen with workers to omni nest.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:46 am

My tetramorium sp. E queen with 3 workers has mold really taking quite a portion of the wet cotton, and the water is running pretty low. So I would like to move them into my Omni nest large.

Now, before you say "Whoooooaaaaa, not enough workers for the whole formicarium!", I only have 1 room accessible for them, the others are plugged with a cotton. So I have a few questions.
1. Do you think that they have enough workers to move?
(Implying yes to question 1.)
2.How much should I water the nest? Do tetramorium like wet nests?
3. How should I encourage them to move? (Temperature, food, light)

Thanks!

Also, keep in mind that this colony doesn't care about mold, light, or anything, only food. And the queen goes with them for the food.
.---- ..--- ..--- .....-----

Batspiderfish

Re: Moving queen with workers to omni nest.

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:58 am

I think this is just too few workers to have them move at all. You can give them access to the formicarium, but don't do anything to force a move.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Austheboss

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Batspiderfish wrote:I think this is just too few workers to have them move at all. You can give them access to the formicarium, but don't do anything to force a move.
Ok, so kind of like a "mini outworld" thats smaller than the test tube. Thats fine. Should I hydrate the nest if I do this? (Just so that if they want to they can but not uncomfortably)

Actually I like this idea because the omni nest can't grow mold so if I do this I can put food in without worrying. :D

Batspiderfish

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:46 pm

Austheboss wrote:
Batspiderfish wrote:I think this is just too few workers to have them move at all. You can give them access to the formicarium, but don't do anything to force a move.
Ok, so kind of like a "mini outworld" thats smaller than the test tube. Thats fine. Should I hydrate the nest if I do this? (Just so that if they want to they can but not uncomfortably)

Actually I like this idea because the omni nest can't grow mold so if I do this I can put food in without worrying. :D
I was thinking more along the lines of placing the test tube in a foraging arena (outworld) that the formicarium is attached to. It's generally not a great idea to feed ants inside of their nest. The outworld doesn't have to be smaller than the test tube, there just needs to be some sort of contained space where the ants can forage. If any of the conditions inside of the tube become unfavorable, the colony is free to move whenever it is ready. Right now, though, it probably is not ready. To be extra accommodating, you could put a fresh test tube next to them that they can move into. Young colonies do much better in test tubes, in my experience.
If you enjoy my expertise and identifications, please do not put wild populations at risk of disease by releasing pet colonies. We are responsible to give our pets the best care we can manage for the rest of their lives.

Austheboss

Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:02 pm

:| Whoops, misunderstanding. :roll: Sorry. Ok I will put them into a small container with another accessible test tube. I'm also going to put a layer of deterrent near the bottom, just so that they have less space to cover and don't go crazy searching every small section of the container.
Around 15 workers I'll move them into the nest (or allow access). How does this sound?
Thanks for the expertise!

Austheboss

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:23 pm

Durant wrote:
Austheboss wrote::| Whoops, misunderstanding. :roll: Sorry. Ok I will put them into a small container with another accessible test tube. I'm also going to put a layer of deterrent near the bottom, just so that they have less space to cover and don't go crazy searching every small section of the container.
Around 15 workers I'll move them into the nest (or allow access). How does this sound?
Thanks for the expertise!
U should really research before keeping ants...but most peeps and Mikey Bustos say 20 at minimum and 50 to be safe :mrgreen: Hope I helped
I read somewhere that you can move them in at 15-20 workers, somewhere on some ant stuff, maybe related to AntsCanada?. So, I dunno. Also, Mikey said in one of his vids that you could put the queens in with access to only 1 chamber. So I thought I could do it a little late. So I have been doing research just would like a little more detailed help. :?

Austheboss

Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Durant wrote:Oh sorry if I offended u!!! :cry: I didn't mean too but ya I would say 20 to be safe :mrgreen:
Nah its cool dude. :mrgreen:
Just didn't want to send the wrong message, I think I have read some wrong info. :|
I will definitely wait until 25 workers have arrived, using the test tube access thing in the outworld mentioned.
Then will attach formicarium.
O.k., this one I need real help on. So I need insect repellent, but I really don't want to purchase floun. I see multiple threads about baby powder mixed with alcohol, but Idahoantgirl says that small species (tetramorium) can cross it. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1293
Does baby powder and oil work? Does vaseline mixed with stuff work? People say vaseline itself doesn't work. Anything stronger than whats listed would help, I haven't seen anything else.

idahoantgirl

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:52 pm

other than fluon (liquid teflon), the only thing better than baby powder and alcohol is if you took packing tape, lined the sides of the outworld with it and then brushed on a THIN layer of baby powder and alcohol . If its too thick, they will be able to grab on. I haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet because my colony isn't very adventurous at this stage and they won't even climb the sides and they just forage on the ground. I will try to find the video that I learned this trick from for you.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

idahoantgirl

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:00 pm

Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

Austheboss

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:00 am

idahoantgirl wrote:other than fluon (liquid teflon), the only thing better than baby powder and alcohol is if you took packing tape, lined the sides of the outworld with it and then brushed on a THIN layer of baby powder and alcohol . If its too thick, they will be able to grab on. I haven't had the opportunity to test it out yet because my colony isn't very adventurous at this stage and they won't even climb the sides and they just forage on the ground. I will try to find the video that I learned this trick from for you.
Thanks! I haven't moved them into the out world yet, so I'll put this technique down before I do. I believe that their 3rd nanitic is moving, so it will add more work force. Also, I noticed one of my workers likes to run around the test tube and one stays with the queen and the eggs. Is this already a sign of 2 different task forces?
Just curios. :geek: