Soil setup for founding?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Johnathan

Soil setup for founding?

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Would I be able to house a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus in a jar full of dirt? If I were to spray it every few days to keep it looking moist would that be a working setup? I want to try something new, possibly give the ant a more natural setup, and also ran out of test tubes.

Hawkeye

Re: Soil setup for founding?

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:56 am

Johnathan wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:46 pm
Would I be able to house a Camponotus Pennsylvanicus in a jar full of dirt? If I were to spray it every few days to keep it looking moist would that be a working setup? I want to try something new, possibly give the ant a more natural setup, and also ran out of test tubes.
Not sure a jar is the most suitable container, but it beats a test tube they've outgrown. Make sure you have some layers in there to regulate the humidity. So a layer of hydro-pellets or at least some rocks at the bottom, covered with a piece of cloth, then a layer of some charcoal and cocoa fibers or moss, then top that off with soil. Any excess water will then be able to settle at the bottom, without flooding the nest and it will help keep the soil humid at the same time...