my first set-up

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

LasiusSapien

my first set-up

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:59 am

so few days ago i noted that the queen and her helpers where moving the eggs and larva off the cotton and onto the floor of the test tube didn't think much of it just thought ants being ants

then yesterday morning i checked on them to find they had move the brood even further away from the cotton and the last 3 pupa left from boosting had been left on the cotton and gone black

closer inspection of the cotton i realised it had lost it's water tight seal and was slowly pooling at the bottom so i thought i think it's time for a new home for these guys purchased the set up hoping they wouldn't drown before Monday

today comes knock on the door and it's my new set up(less then 24hr turn around) then the fun began the test tube i had them in was about 25% bigger than the one's in the set up so did the unthinkable taped the 2 test tubes together turned the ants upside down and tapped

to my joy about 80% of the brood just fell into the new test tube leaving a small clutch of eggs behind i made a cotton plug then moved the workers into the new tube one at a time luckily the brood in the tube was making the workers stay at one end

got all 6 in no escape's then managed to get the queen in too then i got a dry cotton bud a retrieved the small clutch of eggs and put them in the tube a worker came along and gatherer them up then connected the tube to their new nest 15mins later they'd moved in, mission completed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h6hoxjpntres1uv/IMG_20190808_131953.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9mzp16b33qtsd11/IMG_20190808_132020.jpg?dl=0
1x Lasius Niger - early forging stage - 60-100 workers
1x Messor Barbarus - founding stage - <20 workers
1x Camponotus Turkestanus - claustral stage - 1 nanitic + brood
1x Odontoponera Transversa - semi-claustral stage - no eggs

Ectaban

Re: my first set-up

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:57 pm

I like that the setup have a red glass, it allow to get a look whenever we want and not bothering them... i wonder where you find that one, all i can find is either shitty or expansive (sorry AC, but you are incredibly expansive, i litterally payed 160€+ for a small ant tower and a few test tubes).

However, i dislike the idea to stress your ants by forcing them to move, i believe that if your first tube was leaking, they would have moved by them self.

a bit like i hope one of my ants will move when she will understand her water is going low because her first test tube was incredibly small.