Worried about this Antnest

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

wombat1405

Worried about this Antnest

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:11 pm

first of i think it's important to mention, that this is my first entry into this very exciting hobby.
so i'm waiting for a small messor barberus colony, and ive been reading up alot on the information available to me.
i think ive gotten most of the important information, but will continue reading and learning as this little "adventure" moves along.

now i bought this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32817099808.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.77c34c4dtUcGYA
acrylic nest, had to be a cheap off name brand from china as i'm a little low on cash right now, in all honesty the quality is actually quite good, and booth the drinking tube and moisture sponge seems to work, altough there is no visible moisture in the nest to confirm this.

my questions is do you guys/gals think this nest would be suitable for a small barberus colony? (i plan on lightly decorating the outworld with a little sand/dirt mix, some small rocks and sticks)

antperson24

Re: Worried about this Antnest

Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:33 pm

wombat1405 wrote:
first of i think it's important to mention, that this is my first entry into this very exciting hobby.
so i'm waiting for a small messor barberus colony, and ive been reading up alot on the information available to me.
i think ive gotten most of the important information, but will continue reading and learning as this little "adventure" moves along.

now i bought this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32817099808.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.77c34c4dtUcGYA
acrylic nest, had to be a cheap off name brand from china as i'm a little low on cash right now, in all honesty the quality is actually quite good, and booth the drinking tube and moisture sponge seems to work, altough there is no visible moisture in the nest to confirm this.

my questions is do you guys/gals think this nest would be suitable for a small barberus colony? (i plan on lightly decorating the outworld with a little sand/dirt mix, some small rocks and sticks)
It looks a little big for a small colony.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN

SolenopsisKeeper

Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:30 am

wombat1405 wrote:

Don’t put messor in there please. Most ants with the exception of a few invasive species die in those nest. If you can, return it. Otherwise the outworld is useful I guess. Messor need a humidity gradient for storing seeds, which an acrylic nest does not provide. I also am doubting a messor queen can fit in there lol. If you are low on cash make a diy nest. It usually is under 10$ and is not very hard with plaster
When you accidentally reply to yourself…

antperson24

Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:22 am

wombat1405, if you need help making a plaster nest I can help you. I make a lot of my own nests out of plaster.
Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?
There are so many fascinating ants right where you live!
I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that aren't in your area.

Join Ants, Plants, and Myrmecology: https://discord.gg/BeQuNf8yTN