Containing Tetramorium Immigrans?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Johnathan

Containing Tetramorium Immigrans?

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:15 am

I was considering possibly using a standard ten gallon aquarium as an outworld for my Tetramorium Immigrans, however I have a few questions. Would they be able to climb the corners? If so, is there any barrier that can prevent that? If not, should I look into getting a round tank? Also is there any barrier in general that works well against Tetramorium?

noahmk12

Re: Containing Tetramorium Immigrans?

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:41 am

you can use vassanine
Catching- Lasius niger.
Keeping- none.

Ant Love Forever

Whitelotus

Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:59 pm

Tetramorium will be able to climb glass. As far as a barrier, either Vaseline or a mixture of baby powder and rubbing alcohol will work as a barrier. Be sure to apply a thick layer of the barrier as Tetramorium will look for any signs of weakness in the barrier and use that to venture outward. If you want to cover the aquarium, I would advise acquiring a sheet of acrylic and cutting some areas out for air ventilation.

Johnathan

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 pm

I understand that they can climb the glass, my question is if they could easily escape using the corners of a standard aquarium.

Johnathan

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 pm

Also why should do you suggest I should use an acrylic sheet?

Whitelotus

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:46 am

Climbing the corners of a standard aquarium will be easy for them to climb. The recommendation for acrylic is that Tetramorium cannot seem to grasp on as well to the surface of acrylic as they would with glass, at least from my observations. This is just an idea of you intend to cover the aquarium up rather than leave it fully open.

Johnathan

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:11 pm

I also understand they could climb the corners, but would they be able to get past a PTFE barrier using the corners?

Whitelotus

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:47 am

I am not certain regarding that. The barrier I have placed is just around the top of the enclosure. I think Mikey (AntsCanada person) has done it for his Solenopsis colony but I do not know if it works the same for Tetramorium.

AntChuck

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:10 pm

I was testing vaseline with tetramorium immigrans... They figured a way around the vaseline by bring small pieces of dirt and other debri and placing it into the vaseline... It literally looked like stepping stones. In the wild i've seen tetramorium build highways from one nesting site to another using scattered sand, pebbles, grass etc. as outside barriers also with larger food objects they build barriers around it in a similiar fashion.
Keeper of:
1 x Lasius Flavus
1 x Aphaenogaster Fulva
1 x Tetramorium Immigrans
1 x Prenolepsis Imparis

Hawkeye

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:44 pm

AntChuck wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:10 pm
I was testing vaseline with tetramorium immigrans... They figured a way around the vaseline by bring small pieces of dirt and other debri and placing it into the vaseline... It literally looked like stepping stones. In the wild i've seen tetramorium build highways from one nesting site to another using scattered sand, pebbles, grass etc. as outside barriers also with larger food objects they build barriers around it in a similiar fashion.
Haha that is so cool. Adapt, improvise, overcome!