Planning on building a miniature self-sustaining biotope for Carpenter Ants. What do you guys think?

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Hawkeye

Planning on building a miniature self-sustaining biotope for Carpenter Ants. What do you guys think?

Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Hey there Ant-keepers!

I have received 2 queens of the Camponotus ligniperda and I plan to house them in a natural setup, which will be an intricate mini-biotope which should be mostly self-sufficient.
Would love to hear from any Camponotus keepers out there for their invaluable feedback! How suitable would you think my Paludarium is? Anything, in particular, you ran into and want to keep me from making the same mistake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SRjM9vNY5Y

Hawkeye

quick update on the plants

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:21 pm

Hello AC Lovers!

Just a quick update this time, as I am gathering advice and feedback from all of you. I decided to add 1 more particular plant, which I hope will be beneficial to my ants. The Solanum sisymbriifolium A plant which secrets some sort of natural chemical which attracts nematodes. It then immobilizes them and keeps them from breeding. They will eventually die off and become food for the isopods.
As ants are susceptible to a variety of nematodes I thought this natural defense against them would make a nice addition.

That's it for now! As always your feedback is more than welcome!