First year Camponotus formicarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Whitelotus

First year Camponotus formicarium

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:44 am

So I have seen that it is best to place a Camponotus colony into a formicarium until the colony reaches about 20-50 workers, which does not occur until the second year.
To those who have more experience with Camponotus ants, what do you guys do as far as an outworld or a nest before that point?

CabboAntsGuy

Re: First year Camponotus formicarium

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Hello Whitelotus, My plan for my camponotus pennsylvanicus colony is to take a plastic container, and attach the container to it and make a mini outworld. or you could get the AC test tube portal and use a few test tubes for the whole thing. whatever works for you.
Keep:
3 camponotus pennsylvanicus
2 formica subsericea
The Camponotus Crew! https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15267
Need help or want to help? https://forum.AntsCanada.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18153#p70566

Hawkeye

Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Whitelotus wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:44 am
So I have seen that it is best to place a Camponotus colony into a formicarium until the colony reaches about 20-50 workers, which does not occur until the second year.
To those who have more experience with Camponotus ants, what do you guys do as far as an outworld or a nest before that point?
I used an ice cream bucket with a tiny layer of soil at the bottom. I just placed the tube in there without the outer cotton ball, and used the soil to secure the tube to prevent it from rolling around.

Leiflen

Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:18 pm

my first outworld for a fledgling colony is an AC test tube portal. the outworld doesn't need to be big at that stage and i find the removable plugs make putting in food items a breeze while keeping the ants inside