Two unrelated questions

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

MCWren

Two unrelated questions

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:23 pm

1. I'm making two outworlds. One for my Tetramorium sp. E, and one for my Camponotus chromaiodes (if she ever has babies, otherwise I'll use C. pennsylvanicus). I would like to put a small twig in each outworld, since I think twigs add a lot to outworlds. However, I want to do this without the twigs rotting/growing mold or spreading disease to my ants. How do I do this? How do I prepare a twig for safe outworld use?

2. Besides fluon (I have plenty of household items I'd rather use), what makes a good deterrent specifically for Tetramorium sp. E? How about for Camponotus chromaiodes?

Thank you for helping with all questions.

idahoantgirl

Re: Two unrelated questions

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:33 pm

Hi! i'm not sure about your first question, but I may be able to help with the second. I keep tetramorium sp. e as well. I know for a fact that they can cross over baby powder and rubbing alcohol, so i plan to try another trick. apparently you can apply some packing tape all along the rim of the outworld and then pain the baby powder mix on top of the tape. as far as I know this is the second best option to fluon.
Proverbs 6:6-8

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
and gathers its food at harvest.

Keeping Tetramorium immigrans, Tapinoma Sessile

AntsRule

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:53 pm

As for the first question bake wood from 250 to 300 degrees Fahrenheit for anywhere from 1-3 hours. Then let cool before use. :D
With all the things ants can do, you wonder, who rules the planet :?

Keeper of:
Camponotus Pennsylvanicus
Pheidole sp.

MadVampy
Main Forum Admin

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:49 am

Go to a hobby store. Many places like Hobby Lobby and such carry fake greenery (including twigs and such) that are made of plastic and such that are non-toxic that you can use. They are washable and will last forever.
MadVampy

Head Forum Admin
Name is also Mike but please don't confuse me with Mikey Bustos, two different people. :lol:
Keeper of Solenopsis Ants. :twisted:

ooper01
Head Moderator

Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:26 pm

MadVampy wrote:Go to a hobby store. Many places like Hobby Lobby and such carry fake greenery (including twigs and such) that are made of plastic and such that are non-toxic that you can use. They are washable and will last forever.
Hobby Lobby also sells real sticks.
http://www.hobbylobby.com/Floral-Wedding/Dried-Flowers/Natural-Hog-Huck-Branches/p/3899
~ ooper

Forum Moderator