I need feedback on my design and plans!

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Hawkeye

Redesigned refugium / sump

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:28 am

Hey AC lovers,

After CANant recommended I watch a video of Big Al's, in which he is building a large aquarium with a sump/refugium, I made some changes to my design.

Most people use a sump to filter out their waters with different types of mechanical/biological/chemical filtration methods. Now in my original design, my emphasis was more on the refugium role for the natural filtration by shrimp, muscles, and plants, and growing food. However, by incorporating my mechanical filtration (the filter foam) in the tank, I can actually have a lot more of it, compared to the (small) tray at the bottom of my filter pump. Next to filtering out floating solids, this foam itself is also a haven for the aerobic bacteria and more of it, means more bacteria, means better water quality. Of course, this would also free up a tray which I can then fill with more filter medium pellets, offering more space for both aerobic and anoxic bacteria to do their thing. So pretty much a win-win.

Since I will be housing the refugium in a cupboard under my paludarium, which will be 80cm deep, it didn't make much sense to limit the refugium to 55 cm. Of course, I want to keep some spare room behind the tanks for plumbing and such, but I don't need 35 cm spare. So I increased the depth of the tank to 70 cm. Having more depth in the tank, meant that I could increase the levels of substrate and gravel to 15 cm on the left, and 18 cm on the right, without losing water content. Giving me a larger area where anoxic bacteria can house. The tank now, in fact, holds more water than the original design, about 234 l, not counting the water that will saturate the substrate & gravel layers.

As you can see I combined the 2 separate tanks, to a 110 cm wide tank, as the connecting hose would be a weak point and I wasn't sure if it would limit the water flow. Next to that, I would have to plug the tubes with foam to prevent creatures from roaming around and possible blockage and I worried that there would be a lot of strain on a small piece of foam.

I have altered the flow a bit as well. As you can see the water levels are actually declining from left to right, which should cause some nice surface disruption, increasing the oxygen intake. The difference is only 5mm each step, but that's enough to stimulate the flow through the tank. I have added a hole near the bottom of the right side of the tank to attach a hose to the pump. Since at that point, the water has already been filtered 3 times, I am confident the tube will be more than able to handle a steady flow of water.

What do you guys think?

Camponotus

Re: I need feedback on my design and plans!

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:37 am

Interesting

Camponotus

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:48 am

My Camponotus queen has first 4 small larvae. Im so happy

Camponotus

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:04 am

Hawkeye how are your C. Ligniperda queens doing?

Hawkeye

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:26 am

Camponotus wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:04 am
Hawkeye how are your C. Ligniperda queens doing?
I assume they're doing fine, resisting the urges to check on them...

Hawkeye

Another update

Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:47 am

Okay, after doing some more tinkering on the plans and redesigning the refugium as I posted earlier, I have gotten one step closer to the final setup. Since it's going to weigh quite a bit, I watched some YouTube videos on how to build a stand for it. This is what I came up with:

The barebone structure is likely a bit over the top and able to support a lot more weight, but I wanted to build in a huge safety buffer and make sure the weight was distributed more towards the back and sides, to facilitate access to the refugium. The finished product should look like this:

With the refugium, filter pump, heaters, etc., nicely hidden away inside the cupboard.

If you look at the base where the refugium is located, you'll find that I have placed the filter pump at a lower level. That way the intake is actually lower than the water level in the refugium and thus the water should flow into the pump naturally. This means that all the power of the impeller will be utilized to pump the water back up.
I will incorporate a guard with an air intake (not shown) at the overflow from the aquarium. This will make it a lot quieter, but also should prevent any large particles/(pieces of) plants/creatures being sucked in and clog the drain. If I didn't I would risk the pump happily delivering 235 liters into my living room, drowning the ants and leaving the water creatures high and dry.

Hawkeye

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:01 am

By the way, I realize that the emphasis of my last posts has become more centered around the aquarium & structural support, rather than the ants... I just wanted to keep you guys updated with my progress and hopefully help other (future) ant keepers who would like to build a similar setup, or possibly even use mine.

Camponotus

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 am

Gòod idea :D

Hawkeye

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:15 am

Camponotus wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:16 am
Gòod idea :D
Thanks!

Hawkeye

Overflow

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 am

I couldn't resist...

This overflow should cause a continuous siphon, with air coming in through the hole in the cap. Underneath the cap, there will be holes at the water level, so water will be drawn in both from the surface and lower down.