Messor Barbarus formicarium design

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Good2Know15

Messor Barbarus formicarium design

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:48 am

Hi there,

I've been keeping ants for 2 years now with a few small Lasius colonies and one big Messor Barbarus colony of 1 queen and about 50-60 workers. Their test tube is placed in a small outworld and it's now full with ants, so I've been planning to build them a larger formicarium with a big forage area made out of an old aquarium. The aquarium is 100 x 40 x 50 cm (lenght, width, height). I will make 3 or 4 satellite nests from Y-tong and move my ants into the smallest one so that they don't have too much space at first. I will also make sure to close the others and only open them one by one when more nesting space for the colony is needed. I just want to ask if you think that the outworld on top would be too big for a colony of 50+ ants or if it's okay like that? And do you think that making multiple satellite nests is good for a Messor Sp. colony?

Here's a drawing of my idea:

Let me know what you think about the design :)
Also known as Ants_Netherlands18 on Instagram

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

For species ID, feel free to message me privately!

Camponotus

Re: Messor Barbarus formicarium design

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:13 am

It's not a problem put the ants in and make sure you give them food close to entrance because they will be scared to go out far because they are small colony

Camponotus

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:14 am

Satelite nest is ok

Good2Know15

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:21 am

Thank you!
I also want to know how big the nesting and seed chambers should be for my Messor Barbarus colony? And how deep? :roll:

Keeper of:
I have kept 48 species of 18 different genera of ants over the course of 3.5 years of antkeeping :)

Hawkeye

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:30 am

Am i right in thinking you want to build best sites for them and cover them up with soil?

Good2Know15

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Am i right in thinking you want to build best sites for them and cover them up with soil?
Well it could be nice to see them dig around in the premade chambers to make it more realistic and natural, but I think I would rather just cover the satellite nests openings with cotton plugs.

Do you also know what the average chamber size for a messor colony should be? :roll:

Thank you!

Keeper of:

Fantastic

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:50 pm

Hi. My son and I are ant keeping beginners. Just research to date. Nothing purchased. We believe that keeping Messor Barbarus is a good starting point, but have some queries on formicarium believing we should have nest and connected Outworld:

– can Messor Barbarus eat through y-tong based nests? And so do we need to have an acrylic type?
– how do we obtain and maintain the high level of humidity that this species needs?
– how do we prevent the majors and workers from biting through the plastic tubing, especially at tube ends?
– how long would the premade AntsCanada smaller size formicarium last for this species?
– if we are on holiday, how do we keep the nest humid?

Open to any other comments on keeping this ant species.

Regards,
Neill

Hawkeye

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:59 am

Good2Know15 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:53 am
Hawkeye wrote:
Well it could be nice to see them dig around in the premade chambers to make it more realistic and natural, but I think I would rather just cover the satellite nests openings with cotton plugs.

Do you also know what the average chamber size for a messor colony should be? :roll:

Thank you!
Sorry I have no clue about the chambers.

Hawkeye

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:08 am

Fantastic wrote:
Hi. My son and I are ant keeping beginners. Just research to date. Nothing purchased. We believe that keeping Messor Barbarus is a good starting point, but have some queries on formicarium believing we should have nest and connected Outworld:

– can Messor Barbarus eat through y-tong based nests? And so do we need to have an acrylic type?
No clue really, but I assume you want to place that nest inside an outworld like an aquarium? So why would they? If you provide a decent layer of medium for them to dig into, they can expand there.
Fantastic wrote:
– how do we obtain and maintain the high level of humidity that this species needs?
By adding water?
Fantastic wrote:
– how do we prevent the majors and workers from biting through the plastic tubing, especially at tube ends?
I am not sure they will be interested in doing that. Maybe you can explain a bit more how you plan to house them?
Fantastic wrote:
– how long would the premade AntsCanada smaller size formicarium last for this species?
That depends on a number of things, like the viability and size of your colony, temperature, humidity and food. But I have never had that species or that nest so I can't even give you a general idea sorry.
Fantastic wrote:
Cover the formicarium and limit airflow, that should keep the humidity in. Mind you I am not sure if this would create a hospitable environment for all sorts of bacteria and or fungi... Get your neighbor to pour some water into it would probably be the easiest solution.

Good2Know15

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:21 am

Fantastic wrote:

Open to any other comments on keeping this ant species.

Regards,
Neill
Hello there, I have kept my messor barbarus colony for over 6 months now and I had started with a queen and 20+ workers. I have estimated the colony to be at around 50+ workers now. I have kept them in a few test tubes and a small formicarium from Y-tong in an outworld and they are doing okay at room temperature.

As for your questions:

1. What I read is that Messor Barbarus can indeed chew through Y-tong, but if you provide them enough space or soil to dig in, then they won't have the need to do so. Also if you make the chambers +/- 3 cm away from the outside walls, then I can guarantee you that it will take quite a long time for them to chew through it and they will only do so if more nesting space is needed. So don't worry ;)

2. As for the most ant species, ant colonies need water to surive. Y-tong is, for example, a good water absorbent material to use for making the nest. Make sure to carve out small hidration chambers where you can pour some water in once two weeks or so. It is also very important that you make a humidity gradient in the nest, meaning to leave a part of the nest dry and a part humid. On top of that Messor sp. live in pretty warm areas so I advise you to don't water the nest too often.

3. In my experience the ants are not biting at the tube ends. If you are worried that your ants might escape from the setup, then just put some aquarium silicone (or any other non-toxic silicone) around the ends of the tubes to make sure it's tight.

4. I have no experience with the AC products, but I suggest to begin small with test tubes and a simple outworld from a plastic/glass container like I did. Once your Messor sp. colony has around 30 workers, then it's ideal to get them more space. That is up to you :roll:

5. When you go on long periods holiday, then just make sure that your tank is escape proof and apply some sort of barrier like Fluon PTFE or a tight lid, if necessary. Also keep the formicarium covered so that water evaportes less quickly. What you could also do instead is to just place a few additional test tubes filled with water in the forage area, so that your ants have enough water to drink.

What I find cool about Messor species is that they don't require as much water and insect-based food like other ant species and therefore can survive longer periods of draught. In my experience they also like to travel long distances through vinyl tubing to reach their seed-based food supplies.

Long story short: Messor Barbarus is a very cool and easy ant species to keep!

Keeper of: