Herbs in Formicarium

Show us your formicariums and ant setup, ask formicarium-related questions, or share your experiences with building an ant home. Here you will also find formicarium requirements for specific ant species.

Moderator: ooper01

Whitelotus

Herbs in Formicarium

Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:01 pm

I am in the middle of planning a large formicarium for a future colony and I want to add some plants to the formicarium. I have already read about partridge peas and other plants discussed on the forum, but I have not heard anything about herbs. I have heard some people use mint plants as part of their formicarium but I have read it is also a deterrent for ants.
Anyone use any herbs as part of their outworlds?

If no one has any ideas, are there any plants that are low growing to recommend?

Hawkeye

Re: Herbs in Formicarium

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:48 am

You might find this site helpful: https://www.mnn.com/your-home/organic-farming-gardening/stories/12-plants-that-repel-unwanted-insects

As far as I know mint doesn't repel ants, but it tends to spread quickly, branching out under the soil. I have actually been toying with the idea of incorporating Maroccan mint plants, which are more colorful than ordinary mint and hardier overall. I am however still doubting this, as simply trimming the plants won't be enough to control their growth and I would prefer not to disturb the soil too much.